Good-bye, Billy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Good-bye, Billy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

I lost the last of my hero's. I just found out today that my good friend and brother in Christ Bill Cusack passed away on March 24. Some of you are familiar with Bill and his cohorts Buddy Holcomb and Mike from the OCF in 2013. They were the cowboys from Texas with the original '13 barn find roadster that they drove from Dearborn, Michigan back to Corpus Christi, Texas. I was parked two spaces over from them and met them the Friday I dropped off my car. Billy and I became fast friends, as he was with everyone he met, and we have kept in touch through phone calls and text messages. He called me on the 19th of March and told me he had been in the hospital for quite some time with lung complications and a heart attack and wasn't doing too good. I tried to call him back on several occasions, but always got his voice mail so I've been sending him text messages. Billy was always good about replying to your calls/texts so when I hadn't heard from him I got a bad feeling. Today, I sent him an Easter message along with my love, and his son or daughter sent me the message that their dad had passed away on the 24th of March. Billy didn't want a traditional funeral, so he requested a BBQ celebration of his life so in memory of my friend I will lift a beer to his honor and memory today. Billy was a true gentleman cowboy with piercing blue eyes, a heck of a mustache and a welcoming smile. He was a decorated Vietnam combat veteran and a brother in Christ. I will miss him terribly. As Billy liked to say, "Ain't nothin' but a thang!".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

RIP Billy, your last text about 3 weeks ago you told me you were doing great and bought another Model T to restore...Heaven has a true cowboy !! It was my pleasure to know you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

Bill,

Real Cowboys are a rare breed indeed.

About 13 years ago I lived in Cottonwood near Sedona, AZ and was fortunate to befriend a real cowboy named Marion.

He arranged to have an afternoon horse ride for my two daughters & myself - they had never ridden before.

After a riding lesson in a corral - we took to the open range - he gave my girls complete control of their horses - they were 11 and 9.

At one point we ran into a herd of wild horses near a wash that tried to break my daughters horses from us - Marion & I closed rank on them and we had a stand off of sorts.

My heart was racing & I am sure my girls remember that ride to this day.

I saw him a few times after that - then learned of his passing several years later.

There are genuinely good simple folks in this world & real cowboys I have met are among them.

Sorry for your loss.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

The folks that live by their word and a simple handshake are getting awfully rare to find.

How many are "content"? My running mate goes by the nickname of "Cowboy" and he is content (with life).

We run cows together and until recently a few chickens.

He is a real "Cowboy" and it is an honor to call him my friend. There's more than a few folks who don't understand him cause he is a little rough around the edges. Get past that and be honest with him and he'll give you the shirt off his back.

I to, am sorry for your loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Billy was a great guy. For anyone who wants to read the story it is called Tuttut100 on facebook, and is their story from Texas to Detroit, and back to Texas. All three guys were a lot of fun. Glad Billy got to do the trip, the bunch made friends all the way up here and back home. Rest in peace Billy. Jim Derocher, AuGres, Michigan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration