Would appreciate advice on cutting windshield channel for a '23

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Would appreciate advice on cutting windshield channel for a '23
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 11:37 am:

am ready to install glass and new channel into the frame (had no glass or channel for pattern).

glass is from the "T" glass book, so am good to go

I assume that the channel is clipped so that the channel will wrap around 3 sides and have a 45 degree trimmed corner at the corners. Is there an easy or clever way to accomplish this little trimming job? The channel is $$$ and I only want to do this once.

thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Dremel Moto-Tool with the small cut-off blade - perfect for small, delicate stuff like you're doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

If you are concerned with mashing up the brass when you try cutting/trimming it, maybe you could pack some bondo body filler around the area you want to cut. After it hardens you could make your 45 deg cuts, and then dissolve away the bondo by letting the molding soak in lacquer thinner. Just an Idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

I second the Dremel tool idea, I use mine for all sorts of delicate cutting tasks. I use the fiber-reinforced "waffle" wheels, the smaller plain wheels are too brittle and can shatter, scattering pieces in several directions.

Always wear eye protection! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

A small piece of wood inserted into the channel where you are cutting will back up the cutting area and if you cut too deep your only cutting into wood so no damage to saw or self. A heavy duty wooden yard stick should be about the same thickness as the glass and may fit right in to use as a back up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 05:51 am:

thanks to all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:00 am:

I used a fine tooth square file turned 45 degrees. Each cut came out flawless and took less than 15 seconds. The brass channel is very thin and cuts very quickly.

The same method works for the brass firewall trim on the early cars.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration