Steering Column Quadrant

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steering Column Quadrant
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 11:48 am:

1926 Model T Tudor steering column quadrant teeth are stripped, no one seems to make them new and I can't find any used ones either, anybody have any suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Call Mark Freimiller:

http://modelthaven.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

I can also provide you with one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Thanks for the info. I will be in touch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

This is one of those parts that should be reproduced. Nobody is making them, and most of the old ones are worn out. When you "set the lever down three notches", it would be nice to feel the clicks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

It's not so much about feeling the clicks, my throttle lever vibrates it's self down and makes the car even harder to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

Have you tried a file? A file to deepen the grooves and an upward tap with hammer on the outside edge of the quadrant works wonders. New springs on the rods helps too.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

She's trying to tell you she wants to go a little faster, like a horse on the back stretch. Ha ha

Is yours beyond using a 3 corner file to sharpen the teeth up a bit?

My '12 Torpedo is doing the same thing. Kinda a bummer sitting at a stop light and you have to keep a hold of the lever. The brass teeth are now rounded from many miles of touring. Maybe someday I'll get around to building it back up but in the mean time the touring continues. Next is Calgary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

You can install a leather strap around the rods (steering column) someplace under the hood. That should provide enough friction to keep the levers from moving on their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

There you are into those leather straps again Hal...kinky :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

I see them at swap meets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Norm mentioned doing an upward tap on the quadrant, but I simply take a medium size Crescent wrench (6 to 8") and put it on the curved part of the quadrant where the notches are, and bend it up so it is just snug with the spark or throttle rod, & where the rod moves easily but doesn't vibrate out of where it's set.

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration