Rivets for a C cab panel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rivets for a C cab panel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Does anyone know what size rivets I would use to put a bottom side panel on from a c cab?
I've got 2 different cab lower sections,one with a good drivers side & back & the passenger side is rotted on the bottom.
the other is just the opposite.
It looks as if the dia of the head is about 1/4 inch,so I'm guessing the shaft dia is 3/16?
How about the length?
Also, what is the best what of removing the old rivets?
Interesting side note; one cab has the heads on the outside & the other has the heads on the inside!
Any insight on this?
thank you for your time...tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

What kind of C-cab is this...a photo would help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

a tt from 1924 thru 1927,if ive got my dates of mfg correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

I drill most the way through it, but not all the way through, with a smaller bit. I then drill with a larger bit to pop the head off. I then use a punch in the hole, to drive the rivet out. I have also just drilled it with the smaller bit and pop the head off with a chisel, then drive it out.

I made a rivet center jig. I took a 1/2" piece of rod about 5/8-3/4" long I welded it to a piece of 1/8 x 1/2" flat stock about 6" long. I then drilled a hole the size of my smaller bit through it, and then I use a 1/4" ball end mill to put a half round in the end to center it on the rivet. You could also just use a counter sink to make the end too.

Or you could buy one like this.

Grinding the head off then punch it out doesn't work good for me, because the rivet is still held tight by it's sides, and bends the sheet metal to much.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Tom,

Once you remove the rivet you'll know what diameter you need by the hole in the panel. As to length, the rule of thumb is that the rivet should extend about 1.5 X the diameter of the rivet. So, a 3/16" dia. rivet should extend 1.5 X .187 = .280, or approximately 1/4", beyond the items you're joining.

To make a professional looking job of it, you should use rivet setting tools. You'll need one to back up the rivet, and another to form the head after you've peened the one side down about 1/2 way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Thank you for both the information!
Pat,good thinking on the rivet centering jig!
I work in a machine shop & can make one on my lunch brake.
Jerry,thank you for the length info & the Mc Master info,it looks like they have rivets too.
My next step will be to drill one out to see what I need to order.
thanks again for all the info!
Do you guys know any rhyme or reason why one cab has the rivets set on the inside & the other has them set on the outside?
I have a friend with a TT C-cab & the heads look to be about 3/16 dia where mine are approx. 1/4 dia!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

From totally rebuilding my '27 coupe body, I find from one body, to another there is So much done differently, that I don't think there is a right way to do anything, just that it was done, and looks right! I have two totally different (L&R)quarter window garnish mounts.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

These are the rivets on the back of my C cab. I don't know what the shank size is.

Outside:

Inside:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Well...
I made the drill jig with a 3/16 through hole & a 1/4 in ball end mill for the head on one side & a 1/4 inch through hole on the other side.
I will test it out this weekend.
Ill try using a 3/16 center drill 1st & if that doesn't brake the head loose,then ill try a 1/4 center drill on the 1/4 inch side.
thanks again...Tom

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration