Alternator set up for a 1915 T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Alternator set up for a 1915 T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Does any one know of a mount and a 6 volt alternator set up for a 1915 T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Vendors have them, Langs kit # is 5119ALTE. cost is $279.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Sorry, I double checked that, it's 12v, the later ones are 6v.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Richard maybe a little more info is needed;
What are you needing to use an alternator for?
Starter?
Lights?
Coils?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

I have a starter, distributer and lights so I need to keep the old 6 volt battery charged

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

The 15 does not have a spot for the regular gear driven generator so it has to be mounted in other ways and belt driven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:38 am:

I just googled info on a 6v alt, 1 wire and neg ground, they seem to be easily available in the USA and not to dear as well $120/30 range.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:52 am:

Yes most of us understand or assume that it does not have a place to mount a gen/alt. I ask because a good charged battery should take care of most needs for a good amount of time without recharging, unless you drive a lot with your head lights on. If your T is taking it's time to start using the starter might be time to do some troubleshooting. Have you rebuilt the engine (tight) or checked the draw of the starter, done a tune up?
You might call Lang's or Chaffins
( http://www.chaffinsgarage.com/orderinf.htm ) and see what they might suggest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:11 am:

If you're going to install a non-historical electrical system, you might as well go with 12-volts, rather than 6-volts, because it will give you brighter lights and you'll be able to power things like a GPS and electric tire pump. -The vendors sell a belt-driven alternator kit that includes a bracket which fastens to the engine's head. -You can find one here:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/5119ALTE.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Richard-
Does your magneto work? If so, just build a charging circuit to charge the battery. It is easy to do. If you have a distributor, you could put your charging circuit inside the empty coil box. That way you don't spoil that original engine appearance.

Take a look here...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/494540.html?1416288062

: ^ )
Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration