Spark plug help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spark plug help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Today I removed the 4 plugs, 3 are the same "Autolite 3095" and 1 is a "Champion X".
I will fit 4 the same in time but I live remote and cant get plugs locally so in the meantime while I'm waiting I still want to drive the car every day but first,
Two questions -
1. the length of the X is quite a bit longer that the others...is this an issue?
2. The electrode on the X is bent to the side not over the top?

Also I gave an compression test and all 4 read 90. What does a healthy standard engine read?

Thanks Guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:23 am:

Here is some pics to clarifyPlugs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:39 am:

Yes, the electrode on the X is supposed to be that way. And no, the extra length isn't a problem.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG95.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:44 am:

I just noticed the bit about compression. Is that 90 Celsius? :-) I think 55 or 60 psi is generally considered mighty good for a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:09 am:

Thats interesting as it is 90 psi on my tester? (which is just under 8 kpa x 100). I dont think it has a high compression head, not that sure as I havent owned it long.
Thats good news about the plug, I will refit them and go for our usual evening cruise.

Thanks Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:33 am:

"I just noticed the bit about compression. Is that 90 Celsius?"

Haha, good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:34 am:

Kevin, put the X plug in #1 cylinder, it will probably burn cleaner than one of the Autolites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Kevin,

If it doesn't have a high compression head, maybe it's got domed pistons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

Its a bit confusing as I read up a bit last night and it is much higher than normal. My tester is in new condition but could be reading wrong. At least they were all the same.
Jerry, they could be domed I guess. I'm trying to contact the guy that restored the car to get more info.
Ken, yes I did put the X into number 1 as thats where it came out of but your thought makes sense. All 4 plugs were relatively clean when removed so I just gave them a light brush.. I guess the mixture is set about right.
I usually never adjust it from 1 full turn out. I've tried the odd time when climbing or cruising and it makes no difference.
The car is not easy to turn when cranking but I havent cranked any others lately to compare, when cold it is very stiff to turn for the first couple of spins I guess thats thick oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

I tracked down a previous owner in NY who restored the car in early 90's and was surprised to hear he only done the body, never touched radiator, engine, trans, diff at all. He said the car was restored in 1960's, I have heard that some people used Mustang Pistons in that era so maybe this may account for the compression?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Probably Y Block Pistons. There are no Mustang Pistons that would work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Would these be high compression?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration