A great read !!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A great read !!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:25 am:

I thought that at least some of the members would enjoy reading this: http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20150405/NEWS/150408002/1994/NEWS

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Great article!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:46 am:

That was good reading, thanks Warren. In the article, the owner mentioned the black only policy did not apply to Canadian cars. I had not heard that before. Is that true? Were there any years that you could only get black cars in Canada?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:06 am:

According to this document the black only policy started in 1919 in Canada:
canada cars

I suppose black only was kept until the improved 1926 model cars in Canada? (in Sweden grey was available as model year 1924 and in 1925 you could choose between four color options on the drop frame models..!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Interesting info Roger thanks. The chart shows 1914 cars are blue. The owner of the car in the article states that Canadian cars came in different colours and that theirs is red. Something wrong there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Roger,

Any information on a group of six or so Canadian 1915 tourings that were painted in other colors than standard at the Walkerville plant? We have a 1915 Canadian touring at Piquette that came with the anecdote that it was one of several painted different colors at the factory. This car is yellow and does not appear to have been repainted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Thomas, I have no idea? The Canadian archives isn't as easy to get access to as the US Ford archives, so there are lots of discoveries yet to be made, I suppose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Tom,

In my opinion only, I believe that yellow '15 is a repaint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Dave, I noticed that too. No doubt it, like lots of early cars, were simply re-painted red because that's what somebody liked, not the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Right Tim. Here in Canada I've seen Canadian cars such as a red '09 Touring, an unrestored blue ''12 Touring, a blue '13 Runabout and various '17 and up models, always black.

In 1914, I think Henry yelled across the Detroit River, "You can make any model you want so long as it's black".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

I think Herman Smith's document is definitely correct. Obviously he had access to the records of Ford Canada and found them recorded.

I have a lift out chart printed for the Ford Service Bulletins printed in 1921 it shows all Fords from 1903 to 1920.

The colors and types of bodies they were used on is exactly the same as Herm Smiths list. The blue was a very dark blue, the blue-green is a dark blue which shows in strong sunlight to have a green undertone. The complete chart was reproduced in the Vintage Ford.

I think a lot of people forget that any owner of a Ford could set about changing the color of his car once he purchased it. Some would have decided they wanted to have their car yellow, red or some other color. They certainly did in Australia even before the bodies were built locally and you were given a choice when you bought new.

A car that is yellow and does not appear to be repainted says to me - it was stripped to bare metal, painted yellow and still is, not having been touched since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:57 am:

According to the Model T Ford International website, red was available in 1914.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

John, please tell where on their large site? Would be interesting to read more :-)

I guess there were quite a few cars that was custom ordered new from the dealer. Frank Harris has written about his former 1913 Touring that was found in a barn in the 40's with original looking red paint - maybe the dealer painted it, maybe some early owner?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration