26 Model TT Ruckstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26 Model TT Ruckstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay bolante on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:04 am:

I wanted to physically push the truck but was unable because it seems that the Ruckstell is preventing it.
Can the Ruckstell be disengaged?
Am a newbie and all of this is new to me.

I've physically pushed a Model T car in the past and it was very easy.

I've ordered a manual for the Ruckstell and the TT but has yet to arrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Jay

The drive-line of the T and TT are the same, that auxiliary axle wouldn't bar the TT from pushing, as long as the transmission is disengaged from high gear by pulling up on the hand brake/clutch lever.

Could be the transmission is 'glued' in high gear if sitting forever, the oil between the clutch discs could be firm, and not allowing any disc separation for a neutral.

Or, maybe the rear axles are frozen, innards of the auxiliary rusted, and won't turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Jay,
With the key OFF, try turning the hand crank. If the truck moves its in gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:00 am:

That worm gear is not going to let you push the TT around very
easily, if at all. However, it will provide a good workout in trying
and perhaps save money on needing a gym membership.

I put mine up on shop skates when not in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:06 am:

My TT is easy to push around. It has a Muncie, so I have a true neutral. Next time I try to move it by pushing I'll put the Muncie in 2nd (direct) and use T neutral just to see what difference it makes. I imagine it doesn't take much drag to make it impossible to move easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Jay - it does assist in making it easier to push if you know the Ruckstell is disengaged - one is not trying to muscle over the planetary design - it's either in or out. Depending on the style of shifter, direct is usually when the shifter is forward. Some early Hall-Scott shifters do shift in reverse of the norm.

I have both a Warford & a Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Jay if your having problems pushing you Truck around you can temporarily remove a key from one of the rear hubs and leave the axle nut loose. A little grease on the taper will help this as well. If you just want to disengage the Ruckstell you may take of the shifter mechanism off the unit and with a small bar and a little rocking of the truck you can find a sort of neutral manually shifting the Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

I almost forgot. Be sure that you never tow the truck with the information I provided. This is just to move the Truck around the shop or to put it on a trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

The truck will be easier to push if the Ruckstell is in high gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

There should be NO neutral in any Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 12:27 am:

Yes Steve if you remove the shifter from the housing you can get the splined shuttle to center between the High and Low gears and then the diff will freewheel. I have done this more than once. I could not tell you if this works with the cars though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 01:08 am:

Doese the tt warford have neutral and will this make it easier to push mine not here yet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:34 am:

Never had to resort to that Fred as I have a Warford and yes Bob, a Warford have a true neutral position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 02:16 am:

Its not a true neutral. I think I didn't say it right. You have to remove the Shift Lock Assembly using the 4 bolts on the left axle housing. Next look inside the axle housing for the Sliding Gear Clutch (P-1010A) and while someone gently rocks the TT back and forth, slide this Sliding Gear Clutch to the left until the truck begins to move. There shouldn't be any reason to force it all the way to the left only far enough to get the TT to roll. When you get ready to put the Shift Lock Assembly back on you must first slide the SGC back to where it was before so that the SLA can find the place on the SGC where its Forks go. You might have to rock the truck again for this.

Does this make more sense?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration