OT Rant - Why Don't People Adjust?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Rant - Why Don't People Adjust?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Here in Central California we're having a little rain this morning. It's coming down pretty good in a few places, but as storms go it's not much, particularly when compared to what much of the rest of the nation had this year.

I have the news on and most of the freeways are all screwed up by wrecks all over the place. What the heck? Isn't it obvious that a little less speed and a little more caution is in order?

Thankfully I'm retired and don't need to be out there in the madness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Yes, Henry....

Califunny does NOT have the monopoly on non-thinking drivers.

Up here in snow country, despite the road conditions, some people still seem obligated to drive the speed limit (or more), despite no tire contact with the pavement. Serves them right to wind up in the ditch, but it dismays me when I realize that due to their carelessness, insurance rates go up for ALL.

Disgusting, some things that humans do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Congratulations to the rain (considering the california drought)
When it hasn't rained for some time, the first minutes of rain makes a dusty road very slippery indeed without aquaplaning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Isn't it nice to be retired and watch the world go by from inside the garage or where ever you have your fun.
I blame seat belts, air bags and good insurance on peoples lack of care in driving. I learned to drive with none of those and learned to be darn careful.
We have had a warmer winter and I can adjust to that but feel sorry for the folks with drought or heavy snow.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:58 am:

The big problem with rain in California is that after it has been dry for a long time, the oil which drips from cars floats on the water making it as slick as ice. And people are not used to driving in rain so they don't allow more time to drive slowly.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Don't worry Henry. Hopefully all the illegals getting drivers licenses in California will vote in the next election to lower speeds on rainy days in Califunny. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Jay,
There's a new commercial on TV (some kind of chips I think) where a guy tells a kid, "Yeah, when pigs fly!" I imagine the election you're talking about is on the same timeline. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Henry
There was a time where they thought that man would never fly. Just look at us now! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

OH and don't forget our stupid law about Trucks and Trailers limited to 55 and everybody else at 65 to 75... So now we get cars doing 85 running into trucks trying to pass at 60 with the crazy cars trying to pass them all.

Ya Don't forget all those new drivers licenses we just gave out to illegals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Henry: Up here in Redding we have these lane changer's that have no idea what a signal light on a car is, that is well I want that lane so I will take it and then Oh well I want back in the lane I came from so I will take it , to heck with the rest of the drivers. I know it is all over the world that way but I see it ever time I get in my pu and go somewhere the in considerate "DUMBBELLS" and you wonder how they got their license to drive.

bill d

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Gene: I think the group that okayed the DL for the illegals should b hung by his BAL*S, or if you think of anything else post it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson Absaroka County on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Ah Yes, I remember oil soaked Valley streets, the rain water and the bald tires on my old Chevy.
What Fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

We do not have a rain issue here only a bunch of tourists, fishermen, campers, and critters each wanting to escape where ever they came from. With the best shopping on the Oregon coast and no sales tax in Oregon the license plates become interesting. Driving in California I usually need a wind down time at the end of the day. 75 mph? half the traffic would run over my car.
Should mow the lawn today but its to wet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Well, people here in the USA illegally were driving anyway. At least now we can identify them when something goes wrong.

However, fighting about what rights and privileges we offer people here illegally is the wrong discussion and a waste of time. Most are here simply looking for a better life than was possible in their native land, just as my grandparents did. Each ethnicity had its turn in this roll. Wops, micks, krauts, and all the rest of us. My own grandfathers showed up at Ellis Island without passports.

What we're doing is obviously not working. If we want to see things improve we need to discuss development of a process to legitimize the presence of honest people and accept them as we expect to be accepted while identifying the bums and throwing them back across the boarder.

My $.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

Yea, give all them idiots manual drum brakes,manual steering,column shift manual transmission,no cruise control,polyester tires, and stuff their cell phones up somewhere the sun does not shine to often and maby then they would have to slow down and drive.
I agree with Richard, to many bells and whistles are making folks feel invincible behind the wheel now.I only have 1 car with a factory airbag. The rest of them,do not have 1 until I get in.After seeing the chemical burns a woman suffered from a air bag on another forum,I am about afraid of them things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

If you really want to witness some imbeciles, travel over one of the Sierra passes during skiing season. All the flatlanders from the S.F. Bay area have SUV's with 4 wheel drive which means they can go 70 through snow and ice with no problem. Really fun when you see one of the idiots sliding down a hill sideways coming toward you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

I just read in the paper yesterday a five car wreck was caused on a dry divided highway near by when the first car spotted a cop and slowed down!!!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Because people are dumb and don't use common sense anymore. Actually make that rare sense. Because common sense, isn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

There are idiots everywhere.
Grocery store parking lots seem to be their main gathering places....... grrrrrr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Here in South-Sask we had an overnight dumping of snow over most of the province. All the stupid people found parking spots luckily ... in the ditches ... pretty dumb when you consider we live north of the warm line !!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

This afternoon we were driving along I 8 toward San Diego. No rain. The speed limit is 70. Two cars in two lanes going the posted speed limit along side one another with several cars tailgating them impatiently waiting for one to pass the other and pull out of the way. This went on for about 5 miles. Those two were driving at the legal speed limit, but they were not in marked police cars. Just trying to police the limit themselves. Unfortunately, if one of the cars had slammed on the brakes, there would have been a pileup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

The ironic thing is, that many folks speeding are in a hurry to get somewhere that they don't want to be in the first place (like work)! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

The worst thing about idiots is that most of them are actually trainable. It is society and its corrupt politics that has chosen to dumb down the rules instead of teaching people to use what brain they have. And every time it rains you can see how well that has worked.

When my dad was about three years old, he was given a tricycle that was almost to big for him to ride. He always said that the most valuable lesson he ever learned in his life was from riding that tricycle. He found out that that if he behaved stupidly, it might hurt. Of course the stinging nettles he landed in helped to reinforce that lesson.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

My first two yrs of driving were on a motorcycle learning to be defensive!! At sixtyfive I still drive that way, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 08:03 am:

As a State Trooper's son I got to ride along with dad. It is not so much that they damage their own cars and hurt themselves that bothers me but the havoc they inflict on others who are forced to share the road with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 08:05 am:

The remarks here remind me of the farm in ND. A calf was locked in the barn fed with a pail of milk until it was old enough for an outside pen when let outside for the first time it would run into the barb wire fence several times until its brains caught up with the pain of the barb wire.
I do hope that California catches up with the water shortage but personally think its going to be a long time coming. With the governors emergency order of water usage reduction I will put up with coastal rain in Oregon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 08:48 am:

Norm, I encounter people like that sometimes as well. (I call them Jiminy Crickets, after the cricket who was Pinocchio's conscience.) What the do-gooders don't know, of course, is whether the guy behind them wants to speed because he is ignoring the law or wants to speed because his wife is in the back seat giving birth to a baby.

In Missouri, by the way, the one in the left lane could be ticketed for failing to keep in the right lane except to pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Remember when there were signs that said "Left lane for passing or left turn only"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 09:48 am:

One part of California driving I like is the left lane on free way driving is sometimes marked for two people in the car only. Took the trip from Redding to the coast and pulled over several times letting a loaded log truck pass with hair pin corners then lost a tire and changed it on the side of the road driving the last twenty miles on the funky small spare. One SUV was upside down in the other lane up the mountain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Fred, the signs in Missouri read, "Keep right except to pass."

Here is a summary by state:

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:09 am:

At the risk of being called a do gooder i will say at anything under 75 i really do not care how fast one drives!! What bothers me is when people tailgate and if anything happens they and others have no time to react!!!!!!!! O yes,That cop i posted about was setting in the middle between north and south lanes! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:37 am:

The fallacy that humans are intelligent and "civilized" (what exactly does THAT
word mean ???) is nothing more than an exercise in human arrogance and a telltale
sign of what human nature REALLY is and means.

Greed, narcissism, careless, lazy ... all one has to do is watch the "anthill" for a
moment to understand the madness that is humanity. One is a fool to think it is
the other way around. But then again, isn't it human nature to always try and
convince ourselves things are getting better ???

People doing good and putting others before self is the anomaly, not the usual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:51 am:

When you have a log truck fifty feet behind you with corners marked 25 MPH with a hundred foot drop on the side of the road and stud tires on I pull over when given the chance. My Michelins would hold the corners fine but they were home. I wondered why the GPS was showing so much time for the distance of that trip----now I know!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration