Does a 1913-14 top fit a late 1912 top ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Does a 1913-14 top fit a late 1912 top ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

Mac's thinks 1913-14 top should fit my late 1912 top bows. They said that is what they sell to others.

Do you know any different or is it safe to buy a 1913 for the 1912?

That's one bugger about a 1912. The dimensions are not al the same for the seats and body and other parts.

Thanks, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

I'm sure that Elizabeth at Classtique will know. I installed a Classtique top kit on my 1924 cut-off touring (now a pickup) and was very impressed with the quality of their kit and their technical support.

http://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

I doubt they are interchangeable. I believe the 1912 top is longer.

The windshield on a 1912 is straight up and down, even with the firewall, so the first or front bow is longer than 1913-14.

The windshield on a 1913 or 1914 has a dog leg so the top of the windshield sits further back from the plane of the firewall and the first top bow does not need to be as long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Oh yea I forgot about the 14 dog leg style.

Thank you both for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson - Kingwood, Texas on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Hi Robert,

Erik is correct. When I purchased my 12 it had a 14 style top and looked too short in the front. Elizabeth at Classtique replaced the top on the car and I am pleased with the fit. See my profile pics.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

That is the problem with Macs. They don't do their homework, and it has alienated a lot of people that believe the B.S. they put in their sales folders. I'll go with Classtique, and by the way Elizabeth has sold the business to a very nice young man by the name of Mike Francis, who has worked for her for four years. I wish Mike all the success in the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Larry -- Are you sure? She told me at Chickasha that Mike is now in charge of production, but she didn't mention selling him the business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

1912 top is about 2 inches wider. No way it can work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

But Mac's says,.................... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Hello Bob:
There are apparently tangible differences between the various 1912 bodies (at least 4 different Touring body suppliers) that Classtique will require that you provide them dimensions from your specific project. Be prepared...installing a top from scratch is not an simple DIY project, and is hell on the hands arms and back.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Wow, glad I asked! Thanks!

I hope the seats are ok. I ordered them from MAC's and they are till in the box. Mac's upholstery guy was very nice and helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

I have a Cartouche (from MAC's) seat kit in my 1924 cut-off touring car. I highly recommend you go to a craft store and buy some extra cotton padding, the kit doesn't come with enough padding to fully fill out the pleats. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

I hope the seat upholstery is not for 1913.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration