Preservation of Barn Find Motor??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Preservation of Barn Find Motor??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

I recently purchased a 1919 motor (#3313792) for a good price but I do not know the condition until I tear it down, which is months away. I took out the spark plugs and spray the cylinders with PB Blaster from time to time. Now I am wondering what I should put in the sump until I get to the tear down process. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you--Paul


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

Does the engine turn when you crank it or is it frozen?


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

Frozen


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

You're already doing the right thing. It's most likely stuck in the bores rather than anything down below. I suppose you could take the trans cover off and spray down the drums with PB also.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

I am not sure that PB Blaster is the thing to use unless you can see what is going on. You are assuming it is rust, but you may be eating away at the cylinder walls. I would use a oil penetrant (Kroil or acetone/auto trans oil)...but first get the head off and see what the problem really is.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Paul get you some kerosene and fill up the spark plug holes with it. Set the engine uprite (horizontal) and let it sit. You can do the same thing with diesel.
I would use some of the kerosene or diesel in the transmission also.

It should eventually break loose.

That's if nothing is locked up or broken inside the crankcase of course.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

I got two motors in a stash I bought and they were both stuck. I pulled the head and soaked them with PB for several days and gave them a light whack with a dead blow hammer and a block of wood when I walked by. After a bit they moved. Then they rotated. I could then coat the cylinder walls with oil and closed them up. PK


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Go to your local transmission shop and see if you can get some old used fluid say about five gallons and just fill the engine up full. Best have the engine in a big construction type trash bag to contain any leaks. Jim


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

Go to your local transmission shop and see if you can get some old used tranny fluid say about five gallons and just fill the engine up full. Best have the engine in a big construction type trash bag to contain any leaks. Jim


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 12:49 am:

Paul I have had several engines with water in the crankcase I don't know how it got in there as these engines were not stored outside. If it was me I would pull the drain plug and check first before anything else.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:01 am:

The engine on a T-based saw rig I recently acquired is stuck. I managed to get her plugs out when she first arrived and filled her up with Marvel Mystery oil. She sat with that in her for almost two months and it has not freed her. Last weekend, I got what's left of her carb off and installed a small homemade blockoff plate on her intake. I then jammed up what's left of her exhaust with rags. I mixed up a freeing brew I read about on one of the vintage tractor sites: about 50-50 mixture of ATF and acetone. I filled her up with that on Sunday and will let her marinate for a while.


Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration