Got a problem with the transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Got a problem with the transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

Today I was cleaning the timer while it was in the open and easy to get at and when I went to hand crank the engine I noticed that the rear wheels wanted to turn. I pulled back on the stick and the stick felt loose. I thought that maybe the clutch was a little stuck so I applied the brake while cranking the engine with the starter and it stopped the starter.

I opened the transmission cover and I can't see anything wrong. The clutch seems to be moving back and forth with the pedal.

The only thing I have done differant from when I backed the car into the garage was raise the front of the engine an inch to change that broken front crossmember. The transmission seems to be stuck in gear.

What am I missing?

Will

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Before you panic,put high gear lever forward and try rocking the car back and forth.That should break it loose. If not get back here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

I think Jack wants you to rock the car back and forth to see if it is just the starter / Bendix is stuck. I hear that happens sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

If I may, I think Jack means to say put the stick in the neutral position and rock back & forth. Putting the stick forward puts it in high, which is what you've already got and don't want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

In this case I am 100% sure its not the starter. When I bump the rear tire its spinning the engine. Somehow the transmission is not releasing. Something must have happened when I raised the engine that inch to clear the front crossmember to replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

I will get the car back on the ground tonight and push the car back and forth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

If the front of the engine is still raised then the clutch linkage is probably not making contact with the cross shaft cam to hold it in the neutral position. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Jerry - Not to be argumentive, but I think Jack is assuming that the starter bendix may be stuck and as such, would be still engaged in the flywheel ring gear, and if so, rocking the vehicle back and forth in high gear is the usual method for getting the bendix to disengage. Therefore, I think Jack meant just exactly what he said, to rock it back and forth in high gear which is which Thomas Mullin also suggested,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:29 pm:

I should have also said however, that in the meantime, it sounds like Will has eliminated the starter (bendix) being jammed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

Will - Sort of "reading between the lines" here, but from what you said, I think Keith Barrier has probably identified the problem:

If you found it necessary to replace the front cross member, I'm thinking that the front of the engine had been slightly lower than normal for a long time due to the cracked and "fatigued" front cross member. And because last time the clutch linkage was adjusted with the front of the engine "sagging", and because the front of the engine is now up where it belongs (due to your new cross member) the clutch linkage needs to be re-adjusted accordingly. FWIW,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Harold,

Not to be argumentative, but he can't get neutral using the pedal either, which should be independent of the cross shaft cam adjustment and also independent of engine location. ;0)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Spent most of the day reaming the new spring bushing with a small grinder. (Its all I have to use) and trying to install the Hassler shocks. No go, No matter what I did I could not get things to line up. So I went back to the original spring setup. I will tackle the Hasslers another day. Just came in from the garage and I'm beat. Tomorrow I will install all the cotter pins and put the wheels back on and see what if anything I can do with the transmission.I will keep everyone informed. Thanks for everyones suggestions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

You might find that the re-positioning of the front of the engine affects the neutral position on the rear of the transmission at the clutch lever. Try adjusting for a free neutral. See attachment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Update Update> Keith and Harold had it right. It was all in the linkage. A quick adjustment and she's going down the road again. There was some moments that I went into a shear panic but all is good, Thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Hey Will - Norm Kling had it right too, and he explained the situation and appropriate "fix" a lot better than I did!

At any rate, glad you're back on the road again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Great! Glad you're up & running again! Also happy that I was wrong and the fix was an easy one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Yup, your right, I did leave out Norm, Sorry Norm... I did use you photo to help make the adjustment.Thank you

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration