Changing 4 to 1 to 5 to 1 1911 torpedo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Changing 4 to 1 to 5 to 1 1911 torpedo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard e moore on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Anyone out there ever change a early 4 to 1 steering to a later 5to1? I installed a axle brace and it helped a lot but I think a 5to1 would work better with the small wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 05:36 am:

I guess you have the 60" long steering column on your torpedo runabout? In that case you'll have to lengthen a 1925-27 5:1 steering shaft to make it fit your column, since the newer ones are 56" long. If the 5:1 gears fits tight in your gear case you can lap them in with timesaver lapping compound, see this recent posting:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/530234.html?1427982436

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Richard,

My opinion, I would leave it alone. An '11 Torpedo is a fairly light car with skinny tires. It should already be one of the easiest steering T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

I converted my daughters 1915 speedster to 5:1 gears with virtually no problems. The gears were tight but went in after a little encouragement. The steering is now very light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard e moore on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

Thanks tony and Rodger. That's what I'll do. It's easy to turn the wheel and everything's tight and it has an accessory lower wishbone but with that little wheel my wife would be May be more comfortable with the 5to1. Thanks guys.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration