TT Ruckstell lubricant

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: TT Ruckstell lubricant
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Magnus Wiberg on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 05:26 am:

I just restored a model TT Ruckstell for my truck ,and do not know what kind of lubricant to use in it. I have installed neoprene oil seals on each side, inside the roller bearings and also new standard felt seals on both sides of the diferential assembly.Somewhere, I read that they used to put in a mixture of heavy oil, close to grease and ordinary motor oil!? Please, don´t just give the name of lubricants , but rather viscousity, as all brands you have in the US probably are not available here in Sweden. Also , as I understand, a lubricant in any Ford rear end, must not contain sulphur, as this will affect bronze parts, as the worm gear and , in the ordinary T rear end, the bronze bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 06:33 am:

Hej Magnus, Här är en äldre tråd om TT bakaxelolja: (here's an older thread on TT rear end lubrication: )
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/416923.html?1390154888

For car Ruckstells, 90 W oil is often recommended compared to 140 W for standard car differentials.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Leonhardt on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 08:57 am:

Magnus,

I'm using Chevron Gear Compound EP ISO 680 in my '26 TT. It has a AGMA Grade of 8 EP, is ISO 680 Grade, an API gravity of 26.0, a viscosity index of 100, Timken OK load in lbs. @ 65, meets AGMA 9005 (ISO 680), rust & corrosion inhibited -- reduces corrosion on either steel or non-ferrous metals in gear sets.

Regards,

Jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Suggest using synthetic gear oil that will not attack the bronze worm gear. I buy synthetic high pressure gear oil from McMaster Carr in a 1 gal. container and use it in my Ruckstell. No more bronze in the oil using synthetic. Can't beat the price from McMaster Carr.

I started using synthetic gear oil after reading an article about not all gear oils are the same written by someone that owned a TT truck with a Ruckstell. After changing to synthetic, he claimed his TT would go further up the hill to his home before he had to shift down. Also, when going down the hill, he had to apply brakes sooner. He also claimed the oil stayed much cleaner and did not turn bronze color which happened using conventional gear oil.

The oil in the Ruckstell that is in our 13 touring which contains bronze thrust washers has not turned bronze in 15 yrs. use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

THE GIRLS I GO WITH SAY TO USE 50/50 90 W AND STP.
GENE

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration