Heinze coils

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Heinze coils
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 05:56 am:

Hi Folks,

I have successfully restored many standard Ford / KW coils according to Ron Patterson excellent proven methods. I now have some Heinze coils to look at and have determined the connections are the same though the side ones are off set. Anyone know what the secondary resistance should be and capacitor value. While I have varying readings between 5 Heinze coils I have here I am thinking the secondary and capacitor value is same as standard coils? Also the cases are very different any ideas on accessing capacitor before I delve in would be appreciated. Thanks John (UK)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 07:39 am:

Original wax paper and tinfoil capacitors should always be replaced, regardless of the coil's make. The secondary winding should have around 2500-3200 ohms resistance, though some good original coils can have close to 4000, and the windings should be checked with a megger after removing or disconnecting the capacitor to eliminate the possibility of carbon tracks or other shorts between the primary and secondary windings.

Extreme care is needed when digging out the old capacitor; the rosin with which the coils are potted is usually very hard, and the coil's secondary windings are wound on a multisectioned wooden spool that is about 1/3 larger than standard Ford windings, so there is very little room inside the case. Nicking into the secondary with a sharp tool will of course destroy them.

Now--heading off for Bakersfield!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Many thanks for the reply R V, appreciated.

John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration