Welding Help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Welding Help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:01 am:

In another thread I mentioned I had a broken door latch on my 15 touring. Got it apart this morning and found the following:

The arrow shows the break. The door would close and lock but not open.

Is this part cast or steel? (Can it be welded ?)

If it can be welded, what's the best way to do it?
I have a small DC inverter welder good for 70 amps and some 3/32 rods.

I'm guessing the best way would be to turn it over (the back of the broken piece is flat) and grind a "V" in the back and fill it with weld. I don't think my skill level would permit welding on the front.

If it can't be welded, what's the best way to repair? New ones are VERY pricey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:19 am:

ductile iron brass only.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

V it like you say, but use an oxy-acetylene torch and brass brazing rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Braze weld it with a oxy-acetylene torch. If it broke in the area shown that might indicate that it needed to be lubricated. Before you put it back together use some sandpaper and smooth the inside surfaces. It will make a noticeable difference when using it.

I would practice braze welding on some type of similar scrap around your shop. This way you can get the heat setting and familiarize yourself using a torch if you hadn't done much of it before.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration