Stalling Motor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stalling Motor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annette Ford on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:07 am:

I am a complete novice. I purchased a 1924 Touring from the estate of a collector a few weeks ago. It was running good, but I was told by a vintage car mechanic that it needed a new starter which was installed. He also put in new spark plugs, a new battery, and replaced one bad coil. That was two weeks ago. He also told me that the magneto does not work at all. I'm having to charge the battery every day and have had no problems until yesterday when the car would start after charging the battery, but it ran rough even after increasing the spark, and kept stalling after a few minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:14 am:

If this car has a generator, it should keep the battery charged when you drive the car. It is possible that you either have a non-operational generator or that the battery is worn out.

If you are running the coils on battery, which would be the case if the magneto doesn't work, a dead battery could be the reason for running rough and stalling.

First check the battery and generator. When you are sure they are in good condition and the car continues to stall, then it is time to check the fuel system and ignition system.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annette Ford on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:22 am:

The battery is new, so I don't think that is the problem. It was charged some, but probably not fully charged, just before it ran rough. Could that be the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:25 am:

The best thing you can do is to contact some Model T'ers in your area and get them to help you. The first thing I would check would be the coils. If you can locate someone in your area who can loan you a set of known good coils, that might prevent your spending money on a set of rebuilt ones you may not need.

The other first thing to do if the car has sat for quite a while is to clean out the fuel system from end to end. The "stalling after a few minutes" part sounds like the car isn't getting enough gas.

This forum is a good place to ask questions, but it's difficult to diagnose your problem without being near the car. If you can find someone local, he (or she) can coach you through the carburetor adjustments, etc. There are so many things which would cause the car to run rough, including a clogged gas line, a dirty timer, a bad ignition switch, and so forth.

Please keep us in the loop and let us know what you find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Note that the original poster said that a new battery has been installed. And that it was necessary to charge the battery every day.

That tells me that there is some load on the battery even when the car is not running. Sounds a lot like the current Jim Patrick thread.

John Reagan, sounds like you have another patient.

Annette, until some expert help arrives, you might begin by feeling the generator to see if it's warm even when the car is otherwise cold.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Ann - Norm is right, if your generator is working, you should not have to be charging the battery every day. That needs to be checked.

With regard to the stalling, what position is your throttle lever at when you are starting her and what position do you move it to once she catches and is running? If you have the throttle fully closed when you advance the spark and that may be causing your problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Annette,
If "it was running good" before the work you listed was done, my guess is there's something minor wrong. Unfortunately, there are a zillion possibilities. I think you should make contact with the closest Model T club to you and seek help in diagnosing the problem. I'm sure you could find someone familiar with T's to help. I'd do it myself, but I'm over 3,000 miles from you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annette Ford on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've joined an old car club which meets this week. Maybe one of the other T owners can help me check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:33 am:

First test is always to check if fuel flows to the carb. The Model T tanks are smaller than modern cars and the car can use more fuel than most modern small cars. I've made that mistake myself, thinking it can't be low on fuel already - but it could..

The carb should have a drain it the bottom, open it (with some container under it) and open the gas petcock under the tank - if it flows good for half a minute, then the fuel supply is probably OK.

The tank is only a few inches higher than the carb, so the gravity fuel pressure gets lower as the fuel gets lower in the tank. Many T owners has to fill up when it gets much below half tank to be able to clímb steep grades.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration