Screw size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Screw size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Henson on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

I am attaching my switch panel on a 24, and do not have the hardware to attach the switch panel to the dash. Ive searched and found they should be an oval head slotted screw, but i cant find what size and length, or what goes on the back side? (Washers, nuts, etc.)
Could someone tell me what these fasteners are supposed to be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

This is a 19-22 dash. These are #8 oval head by 1/2" long with square heads and no lock washer. I would have used a lock washer. I would think this correct for your '24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

I pulled one of the screws off the switch panel of my 1924 cut-off touring, and once again it has incorrect flat head phillips screws in those locations. The screws were fastened on the back side with 8-32 nylon insert locking nuts, which are also incorrect.

That said, the phillips screws are 8-32 and 3/8 inch long and fit well, so I searched through my boxes of screws and found four 8-32 oval head slotted screws that will work once I cut them down to 3/8 inch length. I'm going to keep the nylon insert locking nuts because they don't show. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Jake, go with the 1/2 inch length that Richard says. 3/8 is a little too short, especially if you are going to use lock washers. Luckily, after cutting my first screw to 3/8 and finding it to be a little short, I was able to find a fifth screw and cut the rest to 1/2 inch.

I wonder how many more phillips screws remain to be found on my car? At least these weren't metric like some of the others! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Dos anyone know the size for holding the amp mater in the switch housing? This one the length is very important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

#6-32. The one I measured was a little over 1/4" long. Again with no lock washer. A lock washer may be good to use but it would ride on a slot rather than a hole on some ammeters and might be objectionable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

I believe the oval head slotted screws I used on my 1923 are 10-32 x 1/2. I used split washers too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

#10's are tight in the hole. They probably would work ok but the heads stick out and look big. I would go with #8's. I believe they are correct.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:36 am:

The screws that hold the switch plate to the dash come in the interior screw kit that we sell
Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration