Ford logo on a Frame.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ford logo on a Frame.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

I picked up a frame that has 13-16 written on the side in chalk. There were no battery box holes and it appeared to be just that, a frame from 13-16. Upon further inspection I noticed ford script stamped into the front cross member. Does this mean that it is a 1919 frame that somehow got mislabeled over the years? Or did any of the earlier ones have ford on the front cross member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

It could be a replacement cross member, like mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

How could I tell if it is a replacement cross member? The frame is all the same shade of rust. What should I look for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

Daniel, somewhere along the line I believe the front cross member changed. The early ones were flat across the top, while the later ones had a depression to accept the front engine/pan mount. Others may be able to pinpoint this change and that may help with your investigation.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

Oh, maybe look for a Ford Script... Look for a different style of riveting.

Where are the holes for the dash brackets?

It might be the previous owned simply guessed it was '13-'16.

Ford scripts became prevalent in 1919. Stamped running board brackets came out in 1921.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

It had the ford script, but does not have holes for a battery carrier. Does that mean that it's had its front cross member replaced?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

That would be my guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 03:26 am:

With many thanks to Mark Herdman (I do hope I spelled that correctly?). I had bookmarked this thread with a lot of information on hole locations from early to late frames. Check holes on the frame rails around the hood shelves and firewall brackets. They did change some through the '10s. His drawings don't show hole size or shape, but location should be enough to tell you what you have.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/356544.html?1366400370

If you have earlier rails, and a later scripted front cross member? I would say the cross member was changed at sometime in the past.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 10:30 am:

What about the rear of the frame? Does it have the six holes for the spare tire carrier that came out in the beginning of 1919?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Thanks, I'll do some detective work now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration