An Easier Way to Clean The Oil Line?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: An Easier Way to Clean The Oil Line?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Its been about a year since i purchased my 25, and not until last weekend did i decide to pull the inspection cover. The very nice woman i purchased the car from said that the engine had been completely rebuilt, and had very few miles on it. Well the engine runs great and i had no reason to really doubt her, but like rear-ends, you really don't know what you have till you pop it open. Much to my delight, i found the innards to look brand new, with aluminum pistons and no noticeable wear on either the cam or the gears. :-) While i was in there, i noticed that there seemed to be enough room between the oil line and the timing gear to run a small hose up to the line and blow it out with the compressor, has anyone else done it this way?, it seems a lot easier than having to pull the rad, and the front of the motor and gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

John

Actually an accepted and oft used method of cleaning the oil line. Works well.

An alternative is to ream it out with something like an old speedometer inner cable, if you have the room to get it past the gear. I had better luck with a heavy duty piece of weed trimmer line.

Whatever works.... beats pulling the hogshead! ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Good idea. Separate issue, is the cam gear fiber? If it is I would plan to swap it out before it makes plans for you. I had one shred itself that was in a car I bought. There isn't any limping home when they go. It may be iron and if it is don't worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Gary, thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the cam gear when i was in there, and i do think it is a fiber one. Although it seems to have very little wear, it will definitely be the next thing i change out. Did you change out both gears, and did you use aluminum, or bronze?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 03:29 am:

Hi John,

FWIW I bought a Dan Mceachern cam gear, in Aluminium, and its beautifully made etc. The other one I would use is the Nylon one you get from Tom Carnegie and others.

Dan's email is :

dmcgears@yahoo.com

Hope this helps,
Justin

South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 06:03 am:

I only changed the cam gear out. My reasoning was I don't believe the fiber wears on the steel. I used an aluminum gear when I replaced it. No problems. I wouldn't tear it down during driving season. Mine was in there since the engine was rebuilt which was a few years before I got it. I drove it about 6 years before it failed. That's one of those projects when you don't have anything else to do. Save the work for next winter.

Also, consider getting one that is advanced by 1/2 tooth. That makes a big difference on low end torque. The only way I wouldn't do that were if I knew it had a Chaffin's cam in it. I understand he has already factored that it so an additional advance would be too much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:37 am:

Justin...nice pic on your profile with your kid in the car! Getting her hooked early on...great!
Looks like a nice car show...recently?
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Ford came up with using air to clean out the oil line when the Ford service manual came out in the 20's. You use compressed air and access the oil line through the timing gear cover. That's one method.
If that's a new engine I would use the transmission oil screen to keep the oil clean. They cost around 30.00 from the vendors.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration