Radiator questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Radiator questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Hey guys ,
I just picked up a honeycomb radiator for my tudor ( still saving for a Berg's ) , that the seller said was to the radiator shop , leaks fixed and flow test was good . Price was right and it is a good looking radiator ,However , there is no provision for the radiator support rod ? I'm sure that I can make something work , but I am wondering if anyone would have a picture or ideas on how it is supposed to look . Also , the filler neck is down approximately 3/8 to 1/2 " , like it was stoves in a bit , threads are good and I was wondering if there is a good way to repair that . Trying to post pics . Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Rad3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Maybe you can tap a short piece of pipe or tubing with the right thread for the support rod and solder it on. But be sure you keep the heat local so you don't melt the solder somewhere else. As for the squashed neck, I'd be inclined to leave well enough alone and just live with it until you get your new radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 01:31 am:

That tab of metal is supposed to be bent down to accept the radiator rod. I have a Honeycomb radiator myself, and it seems that's the way they were made.
Shame about the smashed top--maybe a musical instrument repair person could fix it? ( I wouldn't trust most modern radiator shops to do this!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:37 am:

David , could you send me a picture of your radiator ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Travis,

Hopefully this makes some sense;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 10:56 am:

From the looks of your radiator, I think David & Jerry's idea is a good one. You shouldn't spend much on that radiator until you find out how it cools the engine. unfortunately, the honeycomb radiators cannot be rodded out so if it is plugged it will overheat.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Ok ,
Jerry , that was my first idea about the radiator support , but it's not centered or threaded . I may sound a bit thick here , but was there supposed to be a standoff soldered/brazen in that spot ?? Or something else ?? I have a low
Honeycomb radiator but it has the stand off soldered to the tank like a ford one does ? Thanks .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Maybe the bent bracket was more centered before the damage to the radiator? Two nuts on the rod takes care of the thread issue, so no need to solder threads to the bracket. If the radiator support rod sits at a minor angle shouldn't affect anything since the radiator is centered by the mounting bolts to the frame. Adjusting the length of the rod can be done to get the top part of the radiator in position lengthwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Travis,
Here's the two pics I have on file of it, just back from the radiator shop. Mine has a worn spot in the neck that is patched, so the neck isn't pretty, but it's going on a "barn fresh" car, so guess I'm not worried about that. You can see how the bracket bends down & how mine also has the ridge in the bracket too. Same manufacturer?? And yes, you use two nuts on the rod to hold it to the bracket. If I get time today I'll go up to the shed and photo the bracket from the side.
back view
front view

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 01:36 am:

Didn't make it to the barn today, sorry & I won't be back until Sunday--oh well, I'll try to remember then!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 02:29 am:

Maybe if you knew how that model is supposed to tie up you could have a mental epiphany....

like this....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Exactly , thanks again !!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration