Cool Ford wrecker I just got

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cool Ford wrecker I just got
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

we just got it home we are going to pull the wrecker unit and mount it on the 1925 TT we are building This is going to make one neat looking TT wrecker. The rest of the old Ford will go on craigs list

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Very cool, but why not just fix it up as it is, ..it looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

SWEET

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 12:26 am:

John,

Agreed ... :-)

Just as it sits it is so good looking ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 12:46 am:

Lonnie, i am interested in what you have to sell. If your interested please PM me as it is better you sell your parts here rather than the Craigslist route.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 01:52 am:

Wrecker off ready for new home this is what I am putting on craigs list

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:00 am:

1937 Ford
Model 85 Flat head V8 21 bolt
Eaton 2 speed rear end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:35 am:

Looks like an old Holmes 660 unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:05 am:

I could not have separated that. that is way cool with the fenders on the rear.That was a hi dollar outfit in it's day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:14 am:

Anybody know where the new owner can find a wrecker crane for it?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 08:24 am:

what a shame.to new for tt.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:05 am:

yes it was hard to take a nice looking truck apart but a lot of parts on the truck didn't make since the frame is a 1933 the cab is 1937 the engine is 1933 and the wrecker unit was an older holms twin boom that had up dates put on it I think this thing was built many years ago from parts from many trucks as for putting it on a TT my son and I are building a 1925 cab and out of all the old truck photos he wants a TT wrecker I think it will make a pretty nice looking truck when we are done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:22 am:

Lonnie,

What a great find ...

That door lettering is so nice ... :-)

Freighter JIm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Might be a Holmes W35 or W45. If so, I have a manual if you want it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Lonnie,
Well, it's your stuff so you get to do what you want with it, but sure seems like it WAS an unusual survivor--apparently a '33 that was updated with a '37 cab--maybe to get rid of the suicide doors?
Looks like a bit of rust left where the wrecker body was, maybe it was ready to fall apart?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

ford trucks never had suicide doors.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

1937 Fords have 21 stud engines in them.

The '37's are the last year Ford made the 21 stud. The water pumps on this one will be down on the front of the block. The water return hoses go from the center of the head to the radiator. I believe I see them in the first photo. Has a Stromberg 97 or 94 on it.

Looks like it was one of these:

Probably offered by Ford, through one of their chosen vendors, as a complete unit. That is why the rear fenders were attached to the body and the extended running boards.

Lonnie, It's a four speed isn't it?

Rare and I imagine there were fewer of these made than the 1935 Ford Cabriolet I have in the shop at home.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Sad to see a survivor torn apart like this. It is yours so its up to you but what a waste.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Hi Lonnie
IMHO it seems that wrecker setup is too big for a TT
It should be a hand crank unit much smaller .
Like the one in my profile pic.
I have a couple extras I had planed to mount on something
But things change so l' ll probably sell them .

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Wandesforde on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

This mat become my new tow vehicle!
How much are you asking for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

People on here offered to buy it, Why put up with craigslist?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Looks way to heavy for a TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

It looks to me that the wrecker set up probably weighs half as much and probably more than the TT would weigh.
There are old truck restorers that would love to have that old Ford wrecker. I would hope an old truck guy would buy it.

It would get on down the road faster than a TT would. I would get it running if its possible and drive it. It might surprise you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

I have a 37 eng. in my 36 you can put water pumps on heads or block and put block off plates on other holes. I was told it is first year v8 with inserts not babit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Just my two cents but I agree that wrecker truck should stay
Together plus I think the wrecker unit is way to big and heavy
For a TT your TT should have a hand crank unit built for
Trucks like the one in my profile I have a couple extras
If your interested Jim Williams

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

Paul,

Yes, the '37's were inserted (main bearings) and so were the late '36 LB engines. I have an LB engine, large bearing, that came out of a late '36. I keep it for a spare should anything terminate the '35 block in my car.

The '36 LB's will be stamped "LB" on the left front of the block intake manifold deck. Sometimes they forgot to stamp them and the only way to be sure is pull the pan. The LB's are highly desired because of the inserts and they can be used in the earlier V8's without the BO plates.

The engine in that wrecker is also very desirable for the reasons you have stated.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

The wrecker unit is a hand crank 490d according to what we have found the 490d was made for 1 ton and below trucks to be easer to use it towns and city streets, It also has a PTO for lifting only then you hand crank the load down. The picture is deceiving the bed portion is 2 inches narrower than the 1925 C cab we have. The bed also has a data plate and according to it is a model 101 as for the wrecker unit the bolt holes line up when we sat it on a TT frame. I think a lot of people will be surprised on how well it will look on the TT
As for the engine I am not a flat head expert what I can tell you is the serial number on the frame and trans housing put as a 1933 it has 21 studs on the heads and 2 water pumps It turns over by hand I would try to start it but the coil is missing out of the distributor at some point some one replaced the fuel tank it looks new

yes we are selling the truck and chassis and I hope to find some one that can use it
The lower cab and lower parts of the doors has rust damage
The inside of the cab were the wiper motors are has rust damage
Left hood side missing
Hood top and right side, grill, radiator and front fenders look great
Rear fenders have been modified and have about 20 LBS of lead in each one
NO TITLE
if any one wants it PM me and we can chat and I will send more Pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

I wouldn't have done a darn thing to it but get it running.

That was a neat truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

here is the craigslist add
http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/4970311838.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

The wrecker was invented by Ernest Holmes in 1916. The first units created were twin boom units as they were created with the intent of being recovery vehicles and tow vehicles. Either boom is capable of recovery and then both booms pinned together are capable of towing.

While yes, the early 20's models produced by Holmes were a bit thinner, and we would have loved to come across one, but there are fewer than 4 known to still around. And lets face it the Weaver Autocrane units are not nearly as impressive historically or in terms of engineering.

The 490 unit pulled from this truck was intended for a shorter bed and is rather close to the engineering of the later generations of the Model T.

Trust me we respect the historic value of a vehicle like this, and do wish we had the resources to start a new project involving this truck but it was a matter of completing one dream over staring a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 12:53 am:

That is not a '33 engine,looks '37 on as the pumps are in the heads.
Just about guarantee the whole truck is a gennie '37 ; a swapover seems unlikely unless you met the guy who did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 04:36 am:

My friend has this truck for sale.Ford truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Wayne,

It appears that nothing has been taken from the engine compartment since it ran except the battery and belts. The distributor and coil are correct.

That is about as complete a '37 engine, as well as probably the whole truck, a fellow could find. Even the air cleaner. The fuel pump is a '41 I believe. I prefer the '41 and run one on my '35 because it has a glass sediment bowl. The carb is not a 97 but may be the 94. I am not sure because I only keep 97's for the cabriolet.

It is Lonnie's truck and what is done with it is his call. He found it and is offering the complete chassis and that is quite a nice complete one if you do trucks. It would make a great stake truck and it's a real dually!

I comment only for those not real familiar with the V8's. You ain't looking for anything but "better" parts and a rear wrecker/stake/dump body. Even has an aftermarket fan on the dash that is just neat.

I looked for a right rear fender for my '35 cabriolet for more than a year back in the 70's. I can't imagine how long it would take to find a set of rear fenders for that truck and it has them both!

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:02 am:

I think Manley made some pretty impressive units
This is on a 1948 ford F-5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Lonnie - After seeing the pictures on Craigslist, I can see what you're saying. The truck is in rough shape and it would take a significant investment to bring this truck back to its former glory.

It'd be nice to sit in a corner complete just to preserve it, but what good does that do?

Tough call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Illinois on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

Here's what the original production Holmes looks like. It's a Model 285 and was built from 1917-1932. 2-speed hand winch on each boom.

'17 TT Holmes 285 Wrecker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Here is the one that's going on my TT this summer. It's a Marquette with 2 speed hand winch.I know it's about 10 years newer than my TT but I like the curved cranes better than the straight ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 07:52 am:

Lonnie those are a great looking crane mine is on a 1948
Ford F-3 I think that they are Art Deco looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Wow, 1948, maybe mine is newer than I thought. I haven't been able to find much info on them other than ads from the mid 1930's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 10:07 am:

Lonnie I think your correct that it is a mid to late 30s crane
I failed to mention I put mine on a 48 ford .
Actually when I bought this crane it was on a 62-65 style
Ford truck and I think that these cranes were used beyond
Their years and capability . The guy that owned the junkyard
Said he was towing cars in for scrap with that setup in the mid
70s .it was the same story with all the other cranes that I
Bought. What's the story on your crane?
I think someone should start a show us your wreckers and
Tow crane thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

The 3-ton Weaver I'm putting on my TT has a license plate attached with a 2001 sticker on it... someone got a lot of years of use out of it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

I don't know the history of mine other than it was on a truck from the 40's. The guy I bought it from buys and sells anything old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

those curved lines would look good with C cab truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 11:05 am:

I have been trying to find my Manley name plate pattern since in the last two weeks I have two people email me to see if I could make one for them. For years this pattern sat on the shelf with no interest then all of a sudden I get requests. Now if I can only locate the pattern.

manley name plate

The Weaver name plate has sold a little better but these are both slow movers. Sure none of the T vendors would want to carry them either for this reason. Bob

Weaver name plate

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration