OT - World War One and ANZAC Centenary

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - World War One and ANZAC Centenary
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 08:16 am:

I was today bringing the Buzzy Rental Cars website up to date. This includes listing major events that are occurring in my little corner of the world.

New Zealand and Australia are jointly about to celebrate the birth of the wonderful Anzac spirit, which was born on the impossible battlefields at Gallipoli in 1915. I live in Wellington, the capital of New Zealand, and about to begin is a series of quite wonderful events to mark to occasion. Wellington is home to a new memorial park, which opens as part of the celebrations.

Knowing so many of you in the MTFCA would be interested in this, I thought I'd post a link to the page on my website, which in turn will take you to lots more. Wellington is the home of movie-making in New Zealand. Peter Jackson, of Lord of the Rings fame, comes from here. So we are blessed with so much creative talent to make possible some what you are about to see, if you follow the links. This also includes the World War One aircraft, which is a spectacle that is unique in the world! They are a delight to see in the air on their own - but we are now graced with dozens of them, including 8 Fokker Triplanes!

Enjoy! http://www.buzzyrentalcars.co.nz/bee-there

John Stokes
Wellington - New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 06:04 am:

Thanks John,

Sometimes, we in Australia overlook what the N and Z in ANZAC mean. Both Australia and New Zealand cooperated to such a large degree in WW1, and quite a while before other allies joined the cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Hello John,
Thanks for the link.
The town I live in, Moruya, is well known for its granite and the Sydney Harbour Bridge's pylons are clad in the stuff. Because of this connection, our local RSL (Returned & Services League) sub branch was asked if they'd choose someone to represent them on the Centenary of Anzac Day at the dawn service on top of the bridge. I felt honoured when my wife and I were chosen for the event. I just hope I'm fit enough to make it all the way to the top, so there'll be 3 generations of my families medals up there at that special time on that very special day.

Although none of them were at Gallipoli, my grandfather (DCM) and his 3 brothers were all at the Somme. All 3 were seriously wounded, but all came home and continued fruitful lives after the war.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

John, One of my favorite films of all time is ANZACS. Sadly my VHS tape is beginning to deteriorate. I'd love another copy, but it's surprisingly expensive. The Aussies and the Kiwis did a remarkable job in the great war.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Thank you all for the responses and feedback.

Rob I did not know that about the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It is a wonderful structure, and the stonework is beautiful. I've never walked over it, but driven over it a zillion times. It is an amazing piece of engineering - did you know that when the two sides were joined in the middle, they were out by just 3mm!

Wow Rob - what a privilege to be chosen. Enjoy the occasion - it is special.

My Grandfather and his two brothers - my dad's uncles - were at Gallipoli. Or so we thought. Research a few months ago showed the Great Uncle Cam and Great Uncle Frank were there, but not Grand-dad Les. A family secret has been uncovered. While he was in Cairo, he played too much at night (well, presumably night time) and had to be invalided back to NZ with an unspeakable disease! Its on the war records - but it's not in the family history!

All three survived, as did two of Michelle's great uncles who were there.

John I know the movie well! Is it not available on DVD?

A bit of sad news is that I was supposed to be at Gallipoli for the centenary, leaving next Saturday. We initially were not picked from the ballot but my name was cleared from the waitlist. But I have had to cancel due to some family matters over here. Just cancelled the air tickets an hour ago. The two passes can go to two other folk, so that is a good thing. I am incredibly disappointed but it just how the ball rolls sometimes. Aside from family you are the first people I've told.

When one reads the story of Gallipoli you get a very real sense of nationhood and bonding with Australia. Yes Dane, we will always be brothers in arms - but the cuddly type of arms is best as opposed to the machine gun type! Gallipoli was a fiasco, brought about by British mismanagement.

And I have huge respect for the Turks! We should not have been fighting them. That was another blunder by the British.

Best wishes,
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 01:46 am:

John,
That's sad news about having to cancel your Gallipoli trip. My commiserations.
I'd love to visit there someday, but not when the crowds are there.
My wife and I are planning to be at Amiens & Villers Bretonneux in 2018, marking 100 years since my lot were there.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 07:33 am:

John and Rob, great stories from both of you. I also didn't know where the stone dressing on the Harbour Bridge pylons came from.

I have also driven over the Bridge many hundreds of times (never done the bridge climb though). To give myself some bragging rights, I have driven cars, trucks, buses and trains over the Bridge.

Reading or watching anything on the ANCACs never fails to get me all emotional, regrettably (or maybe, thankfully) I have no direct relatives that fought in any of the 20th century wars.

I will spend 25th of April watching the ANZAC march, from Sydney, on the TV

We shall remember them!

Cheers, Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration