More parts not being made

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: More parts not being made
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:24 am:

I don't recall these being mentioned in the recent discussion of parts not currently being reproduced. You can't buy a new 2704 stationary cone or 2808 dust ring for your front wheel bearings. You can buy new cups, ball bearings, retainers, left and right adjusters, and felt washers, but not these two parts.

Why not just use Timkens? Some folks have a reputation as originalists to maintain. :-) A more practical consideration is that the only way I know to remove a Timken outer cup from an early hub requires destroying the cup. That's OK if the cup is bad, but if it's good and you just want to use it in another wheel it's a waste. I suppose you could make removal notches in an early hub before installing Timkens, but I dislike the idea of cutting any material out of hubs that aren't all that strong to begin with.

As I mentioned, you can buy all the other parts new. Is there so little demand that it wouldn't pay to make these two?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:30 am:

There is very little demand for them and the cost would be very high, I do have some lightly used ones but the nos are all gone, you might call Chaffin's Steve,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:37 am:

I think I may have some usable ones I can salvage. If not, I'll call Glen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Can you make the dust felt at home?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

I suppose you could make your own felt washers, but at 65 each it wouldn't be worth the effort. It's the ring to hold them in that you can't buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

I can probably find you a usable race or two,and I have some NOS dust shields minus the felt.Seems the mice liked the felt for nests.They are surface rusty,but clean up OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Jack, I may have some too. I need to give some hubs and spindles a bath in Evapo-Rust so I can get everything apart and see what I have that's usable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:22 am:

I may have some N.O.S. ones?

Herm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration