Are these Model T parts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Are these Model T parts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

I have no idea what these are for but they have tags saying that they are Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

Hi Justin,

The may fit a Model T, but they are aftermarket and not a Ford product. Hope this helps. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

They are top support saddles. They clamp the top down rather than using leather straps like Ford supplied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

Dodge Brothers top clamps. When driving, they keep the top from bouncing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

I think those are for Canadian Model Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Agree, they look like Canadian Model T top saddles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Here is one on a Canadian car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

You have two different styles, they don't match.

These top clamps were provided on many types of early cars, and normally the restorer has to determine the style or the part # that is cast in each clamp, for a pair you either need matching #'s or #'s with letter to denote a left or right, as most times, they open for left, or for right.

Clamps are usually post mounted, but the post mount hole can be up, middle or down, depending on the style of car (roadster with small number of bows, and touring with more bows) and clamp requirements.

Clamps made for the Ford, accessory, 1916 Liberty Auto Parts, NY catalog

Various types below, searching for a matching pair is a challenge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

I have been searching for a pair for my 1918 Buick to no avail. There were many styles in the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Thanks for all of the information. I'm always amazed at how quickly responses come.

Dan, the first one posted looks a lot like the one on the right in my picture. Is the number that you showed from that one or the one below it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

For a listing of some of the known ones supplied by Ford of Canada please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/35088.html?1188520763

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Justin, there are many variations on these. The ones you have are for a tourer with 4 hood bows. The better ones are like the one on the left of your photo. The off-set clamping hole allows that type to be swapped from one side of the car to the other, which, in turn, may allow fittings on the bows to be dodged.

Even better are those where the mounting hole piece is riveted to the clamp. This allows adjustment up and down to get the bows to sit level when folded.

The ultimate are the riveted type made in solid cast nickel. These polish nicely and never rust.

Just for info.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Justin

Yes. The 462 is the first one posted.

The one on the red background is this:

Took me many swap meets to get a pair for the Autowa bodied Ford, you can see the original literature shows this style clamps for the bows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 07:48 am:

Here are the ones that are on my 22 Canadian Touring:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration