OT - Highway 99 to Bakersfield lodging & food recommendations

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Highway 99 to Bakersfield lodging & food recommendations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Driving to Bakersfield from the north along Hwy 99

Eat at Sal's Mexican Restaurant
2163 Park St
Selma, CA 93662
559-896-0412

In a small neighborhood w/ some of the best mexican food you will find anywhere - about 90 miles ? north of Bakersfield

Stay at Motel 99 about 60 miles ? north of Bakersfield

Single w/ tax is $40.00

Plenty of parking for a truck & trailer within sight of your room.

Nice rooms - check out the painting in the lobby

Motel 99
26442 N. Hwy 99
Tulare, CA 93274
559-688-0501

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 01:34 am:

Noreiega Hotel or Sheep Growers for Dinner--BE Hungry before you go!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 03:02 am:

I think David means Wool Growers. Basque dining. Food just keeps coming. Then some more.
If country music is your thing, don't miss Buck Owens' Chrystal Palace. Pricey, but great food and music,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

But that ain't Basque food...just plain old American slop...but the wine is good. They wouldn't know how to make real Basque food.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Erik's correct. Now if you just want Basque food, go to Minden, NV to J T's. Not like the old days when you sat a long tables & ate what they brought out, now you get your own table and even a menu. Still good though! But I miss the old days--best steaks ever too. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Erik's correct. Now if you just want Basque food, go to Minden, NV to J T's. Not like the old days when you sat a long tables & ate what they brought out, now you get your own table and even a menu. Still good though! But I miss the old days--best steaks ever too. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

zHmm, don't know how that happened--I'll blame it on dial up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Noriega Hotel or Wool Growers for dinner, Dewar's on Eye Street for dessert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

I learned a new word on old US 99. Staying at a motel in Fresno, about 1944. Mom had a bottle of perfume that leaked in a suitcase. When she opened it and caught a whiff she said, "Boy, that stuff's potent!" Trains steaming by on the tracks across the highway provided entertainment all through the night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:03 am:

Steve,
Better stop at Dewar's first, after eating at either of those joints, you won't have room for desert!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Dave, Steve,

I tried stopping at Dewar's first last year. Had an ice cream sundae at about 2:00 in the afternoon. Slept until dinner time and woke up still full. Wound up going to In 'N Out at about eight that night and having a small burger. Never did make it to Noriega's.

I think the choice is D's or N's, but not both on the same day. Maybe not even on the same weekend !

Dick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration