Tie Rod question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tie Rod question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

I'm heading to Bakersfield tomorrow and one of the items that I have my eye out for is a pre-1920 (specifically, for a '12) tie rod.

I know the pre-1920 tie rods have an integral ball and that the ball center line is in line with the rod center. And I know the adjuster is on the driver's side. But I have a question about the orientation of the adjuster clamp bolt. I thought the clamp bolt was always horizontal, but a fellow last year showed me a tie rod with a vertical clamp bolt, which he said was for 1912 and earlier. Unfortunately, his rod was badly rusted and wouldn't have been serviceable.

Does anybody know for sure about the year change from vertical clamp bolt to horizontal ?

Thank you,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

I think in the early styles, there were "U" shaped tie rod ends and "V" shaped ones...along with the bolt you referenced pointing down and horizontal to the ground. The only thing I can't tell you is which years were which.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 07:44 am:

A typical 1912 tie rod has fine thread on the adjuster. The adjuster bolt is below the tie rod parallel to the road. The ball is integral with the RH side. See here:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration