Headlight Lens Tightening

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Headlight Lens Tightening
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Any suggestions on how to get a loose headlight lens to stop rattling? I replaced the rope type gasket to no avail. Any tricks of the trade anyone can share with me? It is a 1924 standard black rim and headlight bucket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Daniel,
Look at the schematic in this thread

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/376847.html?1374928927

and make sure that the "spring" part # T-6586-X is positioned properly. It should put enough forward pressure on the reflector (part No. 6590) to stop the rattle.

Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Dave, That is an outstanding schematic, thank you very much. I will check the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 07:37 am:

I have the same problem on my TT. Everything is there and turned the right way. There's just too much wear on the slots where the ring twists. I have considered buying some round foam maybe 3/8" diameter and putting around the front of the rim where there's a little half round bead in the sheet metal. I think this would work, but I've just not gotten around to trying it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 08:21 am:

Daniel,

There are some very talented people on this Forum who willingly share their skills - i.e. as in Martin V's schematic.

Many great posters will answer your questions as you make the journey thru life with your T....just ask.

Enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:31 am:

The lens should be snug and held in the headlight door. If the lens is loose, the clips are bent or out of adjustment. The lens and door should come off as one piece. If the door is loose, then there's a problem with the bucket slots or the pins in the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

I had a couple lens that were badly chipped where the retaining clips hold them in place. The clips were also in poor shape allowing looseness and rattling. I used some clear silicone to help secure them in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Ken K,

Please help....I will profess my Northeast ignorance. What part of Martin V.'s headlight schematic do you Texans call: "The lens and door should come off as one piece".?

Admittedly, I don't talk Texan...heck, the ways things are lately, there are a bunch of Northerners that I don't understand.

I just can't figure out where that headlight door could be!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 09:59 am:

When you open a door you enter into another space. When you open the rim and lens you enter into another space. Seems logical, correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Thanks Daniel,

I guess.

Always something new to learn.

A rim can be a"door".

Coke today is not the same Coke I drank as a teen.

It was "tonic" here (New England), and Coke Mid Atlantic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

Ford called it a "Door". (Part number 6575) So it's a Northern term, not Texan. Perhaps from the gas and oil lamp years. It's known by a number of names but the correct term is no worse than rim or ring which have nothing to do with lights. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Sometimes it's also called a PITA, no?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Speaking of Doors and Rims, what is the best way to get them off? I am having one heck of a time getting mine to even turn a little. I realize one has to push hard, but it is beginning to bend the bracket! Help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

After finding many lenses chipped at the locating ring (visible) and
edge (not visible), I put my professional skill/knowledge set to work
and set my lenses with a butyl rubber caulk and then set the clips to
hold firm. This stops ANY rattle and potential chipping. Chipping is
bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

That is a great idea Burger, thank you. Now if I can just get the rim off the bucket! Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

I am a huge fan of Lang's and have received two orders from them within the last week. Having said that, the only product that I have ever returned to them was a pair of headlight rings for my '27. They simply didn't fit, and the clips were markedly different from the originals. I sent the originals out to be replated (for a much higher cost then the repros) and will install them next month. I still love lang's.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration