Some tt questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Some tt questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

I was trying to pull the rear worm carrior bearing see if i have the 4 or 6 flute worm
When i get on the nut the whole shaft moves 1/8" in the direction im pulling appear the bearing is loose as the worm seems to be 1/4" front to back play is this normal
Also any advicese to get the worm nut off to access the bearing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 01:49 am:

Hi Bob,the thrust ball bearings stop the worm from moving front to rear. There should not be any noticeable movement with the nut tightened properly but this really can't be told until the rear cap in place and tightened. The 4 bolt cap is which actually holds the thrust bearing in place. If you have the 4 bolt cover off the worm can move back and forth. There are shims that can be used to fix this up but it needs to be measured for a reasonable clearance but I don't know what this is off hand. I would make a holder of sorts that would hold the thrust in place while I could get get a clearance measurement with a dial indicator on the back end of the worm shaft
.Does this make sense..Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 07:17 am:

Bob, As Fred said, when you take the back cover off the entire assembly will move back and forth like you have described. As you can see in the pictures below there are flats on the washer behind the nut. Most do not have this but it may be a good idea to do when putting yours back together. The only other way to really hold the worm is to get a hold of the drive shaft or the other splined end of the worm if it is disassembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David W. Clyde on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Hey Bob, Looks like you got your TT home. Thanks again for your help! Dave in Cedarville,CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Ok there was no shim under the cap rear axel still in the truck but warford stuck in neutral
Makes since that this rear cap would be the trust plateyep now i can finaly get rollen on it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Thanks guys this forum is a god send thanks so much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Theres some side to side play is this also controled by the cap or is there a race been 15+ years since i worked on a TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

The side to side play would come from the Hyatt bearings and races on the worm gear. You would have to inspect the races and measure the bearing roller diameters and worm surfaces to determine what is worn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 12:50 am:

Great pictures Justin.. Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Yes thanks to all forthe help and info

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration