Rear Brake cam ..Bad

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear Brake cam ..Bad
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:03 am:

hare pictures of the rear brake cams , as u can see it ran out of the shaft ,i saw there was a movement in the cam/shft area and when i pulled it towards the back the can stays but the shaft fell out .,now what? ill have to remove all the back wheels of my cars i have installed this part on and return them,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:19 am:

Oh for Pete's sake!
Why didn't the manufacturer pin the two pieces together? I would reassemble the shaft into the cam then drill and pin them together, hoping that the shaft is not hardened. Another thought is to weld a washer of appropriate size to the end of the shaft (after reassembling, of course) in order to retain the shaft in the cam; provided that there will be room between the washer and the inside of the brake drum.
My two cents worth. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Poor repro part design, to have only a mechanical hold on such an important part. The Ford parts were one piece forged. Now sure a new forging die is out of sight....but still, the part should have the same or similar strength as a forged parts.

Worthless design.

Similar occurrence with the repro spring hangers, the splined mechanical attachment just slipped away. On this one, happened on my poor install, as the wood block I was using to spread the spring shackle and spring go away, caused the tip, and the repro shackle came apart on bending.

But later I found two loose, as the spring action on the shackle is a bouncing and the mechanical splines just wore down, and the shackle was loose.

So, only Ford forged one-piece parts for me, no repro mechanical only splined and press-fit together pieces!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Is the cam hole & splines in good shape? that's the deciding factor in attempting a repair on what you've got. The shaft looks OK in the pics. Next problem, as Bill states, is it a hardened shaft. a little drill experiment should clear that up though I can't see it being soft. If it's drillable my first choice would be through the thin end of the cam to avoid any interference with the shoes. I'd go for a threaded hole myself then cutting off the bolt head & peening it over. Straight into the shaft with a washer & bolt is another option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 10:07 am:

Mark the pieces before you repair, as the splined shaft is indexed to the brake shoe cam, you don't want the two out of alignment, or else the lever will be in the wrong spot.

Would be better to locate some originals, NOS are nice :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Of course the real solution is for all you guys who like to complain about the low grade reproduction parts is to actually MAKE some quality reproduction parts. OH wait!! The average T guy won't pay for quality!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:48 am:

I have a few nos 1926-7 cams, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Bob what do u want for originals ? i need 4
I cant trust these cams i will contact the vendor to return, will keep u posted
Thank you lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Sorry I just checked all I have are rights no lefts, nos 25.00 ea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 06:21 am:

Bob, the cams on my '27 do not have the big washer on them like the one in the pictures.

Were different types available for the 26-27?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 07:44 am:

Amen Les, I am glad someone is reproducing parts. I can take the time to tweak things if needed, can't do that if nothing is out there. Would be nice to have a stock of nos parts but that is not possible for most people. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 08:48 am:

Eric

That style with the flange is perhaps early, check out this previous thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/470125.html?1408239795

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Please let me know who the vendor is. I was about to buy a pair. You can send me an email from my profile. I really do not want this to happen to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Keith
10 minutes with a torch and silver solder and those cams would never come apart
Same thing with the shackles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Thanks Dan.

Looks pretty clear - cam with the large washer is early 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

I got my new cams and they do not have the washer. My problem is the bushings I ordered and received are .010 oversize to the bore in the end plate on the axle. The new bushings are split but the first one I tried to push in opened up at the split and now is distorted and no good. Anyone have this issue and maybe knows where to get one that fits? It is a 26/27 and the hole in the end plate measures .864". The hole is clean and smooth as the old bushing just cam out.
Thanks

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration