Bushing and Problems?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bushing and Problems?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

I knew when I stopped driving the T in Nov. I had inquired a difficult steering problem but my health wasn't up to checking it out. Well yesterday I went to the garage and started performing some of the check points. With the car jacked up one of the first things I did is lift up the tires with a crow bar and on the passenger side I had a tremendous amount of play. Using a feeler gauge between the axle and top bushing I had .054 gap. The pictures below show the top bushing and the inside of the axle where the bushing was making contact...
I guess my question is can I file the axle surface flat before I install the new bushing's. You can see in the picture the surface needs to be addressed or looks like a new bushing will just conform to the old surface...
Is this a common thing to happen...and how is it addressed....
I found other problems also I will post more pictures....Thanks Chet...

Inside top of Axel Bushing

Face of Top Bushing

Axle

(Message edited by adminchris on April 13, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

One of the other problems is when I rotated the wheel it was stiff turning....When I disassembled the hub and axle I seen where the inner bearing and hub was making contact and rubbing...You can see this if you look closely in the pictures....What went wrong? Did I over tighten the outer bearing or is something missing... Chet

.054 Feeler Gauge

Inner Bearing Wearing against hub

Hub and Axle

(Message edited by adminchris on April 13, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Looks like you need to build up the axle face and then face it off square with the king pin. Also looks like you need threads in the lower part of the axle. Sounds like a job for Stevens Front Axle tool! PM me Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Dan I tried to PM you but I don't know if it went thru. My personal email is ( chester.lowery@gmail.com )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Thanks Dan Hatch and Bill Robinson.. I appreciate you contacting me and helping...
Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Chester,

You can file that axle surface you're referring to. Up & down end play between the axle and the spindle is not a big deal. There is no need to build up the thrust surface of the axle. You can take it up with a washer on the bottom end if it bothers you.

I don't know why your seal is rubbing the spindle. It's probably possible to push the seal in a little deeper, or at least flatten down its convex surface. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the seal, inspect & repack the bearings, and install a modern neoprene seal, (available from the regular T suppliers).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Jerry, thanks for the information.... I have worked on 50 and 60 model cars most all my life and I am letting these T's kick my butt.... It's not the removal and replace that gets me it's the rebuild... I never seem to have the right tool or right knowledge....

I considered the washer between the axle and spindle and but then I thought if someone was to notice it they would just ridicule me...

The spindle had me confused on what to do....

I think I will remove the axle and take it to Dan
and let him do a complete rebuild so it will be correct and if I do have a wreck I want have to listen to Pat say ( I told You!!!!)

She already refuses to ride in it until it's fixed....you never know which way we are going....

And she's right,it got to where it wasn't fun to drive and I love my model T....I have a beautiful street rod, 48 Studebaker M5 Truck , but I had rather drive the T..."when it drove right"....

I read where you guys have several T's and I think to myself I would just be happy to get the one I have back to where I can enjoy it again and go on some more tours....and I will..

Then I may consider another one....

Thanks Again Jerry...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Chester,

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. You are right, if you have to keep fixing them every time, they're not much fun. Get it right and enjoy it. Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Chester, Dan would rather work on Model A front axles!

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Herm, I guess Dan fill's sorry for me, he agreed to completely go thru it and get if right....I like to help him or at least watch him and learn...not that I may ever rebuild another but just to have more knowledge about mine...

He is pretty loaded right now but maybe in a couple weeks he can get to it.... or in a couple weeks I may have the money for Dan to get to it....that may sound better....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Just watch out Chester, many years ago, he charged 25.00 an hour.

If you watched, 35.00 an hour.

And if you helped, it's 40.00 an hour.

I don't know what it is now. Just remember we are have high inflation.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Chet, I have a very tight front axle assembly with pre 26 spindles that you are welcome to use while you get yours fixed. This is the one we used for our "Lynn Cook Safety Day" in February. It has all new hardware and is like new except it isn't painted.

All it would do is make your front end ride about an inch higher. No one would notice. I promise the car would track straight, not pull, and be a pleasure to drive. Let me know if you want to use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Herm, maybe I would be better off to just deliver it and leave. Dan would probably prefer that also....... thanks for the tip.....

Gary, that is a very nice offer..... Dan said when I get it to him it will not take long...... thank you....

I will need to purchase another tire while it is being repaired.... the spare is just to dry-rotted for any long runs....first time I have ever used it.....

Pat and me went on a nice ride just the two of us before parking it for the winter and by the time we got back from wrestling with the steering the right front tire was pretty slick...... I knew about 20 miles into the trip things were not feeling right and I should have turned around and went back to the house....

Live and learn, or hope you live to learn... I guess we were lucky to make it home.....

Thanks, Chet

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration