What do you guys think of this Erstad power plant?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What do you guys think of this Erstad power plant?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

I'm gathering "family parts" to fix up my grandfather's race car and want to get into T's myself. Just drove 5 miles with the tractor to pick this up from my dad's. We took the head off of it several years ago.

Dad says Grandpa picked it up in '74 and ran a buzz saw with it until he realized that it used more fuel than was worth it. I wonder how that in/out clutch would work in a speedster?

The stamped hood and grill shell sans cut out is just too cool! Can anyone tell me more about it?

erstad1
erstad2
erstad3
erstad4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

That's a nice factory unit

Here is one running on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPOcuEgvWJw

http://electricals.tk/electricity_unit_conversion/1926_27____Ersted_Ford_Model_T _Power_Uni/34391/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

You don't want to part that out! It should be restored for what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

If that was for sale here in Australia, it'd fetch big-ish money. I wish I owned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Jim,

Welcome to the wonderful world of T's. That is a wonderful power unit that should be put back together. Please do not part it out. There would be many here that would buy that (myself included)if it is something you don't desire.

It is for sure a neat piece, I wonder if Jay in Cali has any period literature for it. I am sure within a few hours, Ron will be chiming in himself.

Got any pictures of the car? I assume it is T-based?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

That is one of the neatest things I have seen in a long time, it would be a shame to take it apart for the motor.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

I'm with the other guys. PLEASE don't part that out. So many just too cool features.
I have a T power unit from a combine and also a T boat engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

I'll add my request also. Please don't part it out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Maybe one of the pleaders has an engine they would be willing to trade to Jim for his power unit? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Mark
I sure would, but I'm probably too far away (at least 2000 miles). However maybe he and I should talk, as I could probably offer him a fresh pressurized short block. It looks like he needs to acquire a transmission and pan anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Oh my...you guys are killin' me! :-) And I mean that with much love, haha. I put a little Tap Magic in each cylinder and she turns over nicely now.

So now I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. The radiator is missing. What would a unit like this be worth? I'd hate to part out something that's that desirable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Jim

I have suggested what I might be able to offer you. We can probably figure out how to handle the shipping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

This is all happening very fast. I'll tell you what, I just made a phone call and set up an appointment to see a guy with a huge stash of T parts. I will do nothing for now with the Ersted as far as robbing parts, and I'll see what I can acquire next week.

I appreciate you guys keeping me straight. Thank you all for the advice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Im with all the others. Please do not part it out. The unusual stuff like this power unit are all part of the history of the Model T.. There are lots of chances to get a complete engine, and little to no chance of finding one of these. This is my opinion, and its your engine to do with as you please, but there will be a lot of crying by grown men, :-( :-(, if it gets parted out. Respectively submitted Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 03:54 am:

What is the thing under the distributor? Looks like a vertical generator??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

I'm not sure but here's a couple more pics, Jon. I like the linkage.
ersted5
erstad 6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

It's some kind of governor. My T/IHC mower has something similar.

Jim - if you decide you want to sell it (raise some funds for your speedster), I'm interested. Check out my profile - things like your power unit are all that I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Hmmm,....a governor on a race car? Somehow, that just doesn't sound right. But I've been wondering what that unit under the distributor is too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

The device under the distributor is a governor.

Jim - am interested in the entire power unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 09:05 am:

I agree it is some kind of a governor. It probably is to maintain a steady RPM at different loads. It appears to be hooked to the carb linkages. Its hard to tell how the hookup is made.. but there are a lot of "bellcranks"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 09:27 am:

I need the engine. If I put another older style T engine in it, does it hurt the value for a collector? Whose to say that this is the original engine? Is there a way to tell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 10:01 am:

I am willing to bet that someone will trade you the engine you need, and save you the trouble of dismantling the power plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Jim
From the pictures you also need a transmission and crankcase (oil pan). I am really surprised that you can't trade what you have for something WAY more complete to what you need, and potentially in better condition (certainly as good). There has to be a number of T guys within driving distance of you. Isn't there a local T club chapter around there? It would be in your best interests to locate some local T "nuts".
If you are determined that the "short block" you have is truly great (which is all you have that you can really use for a speedster), then please be careful to preserve the rest of it so someone else can put it all back together.
I'm assuming you have rest of the engine parts you need already.
All the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Jim,
I have a complete, ready to drop in '17 motor that has been freshly overhauled (not rebuilt). I will trade it for your power unit as is. I also have a complete, '26 engine that looks to be a great candidate for rebuilding. I would trade that and some cash for your power unit.

Period accessory items are sought after by many of us in the hobby. We like to find them in original condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

Gentlemen, the "race car" has the transmission, all engine parts, accessories, and I have two good crankcase pans. I am also negotiating for a runabout car with a 2 speed for a second build and tons of parts. I've been into model T's for about a week...so please forgive me guys. I'm not trying to start any trouble or a bidding war...I'm still green and sorting things out.
I'm like the new girl at the bar...lol.

Honestly, I simply wouldn't have any use for a stationary power plant, but I respect those who would and don't want to part it out if it hurts the value for someone. It's my understanding that I need the later engine for my race car tranny. I only need a bare block , and I mean bare, with the tranny mounting bolts. This unit ran until parked.

Value for value, the bare block may not compare. Can anyone put a value on it? It's not about the money, but I'd rather it get a worthy home since my grandfather has done so with his T parts in his lifetime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

Not going to get in a bidding war either. These things are a niche item. I restore Ts that were converted to other uses during the Depression or WWII - tractors, power units, saw rigs, etc. It truly is all that I do. I try and keep them as authentic and period correct as possible and then show them - so people get an idea of how versatile the Model T was and how inventive Americans used to be.

It appears to be in decent shape, but some high end parts seem to be missing (do not see a radiator for example). In any case, I'd be willing to take a risk on it at what I would consider a fair price. It would have an EXCELLENT home and be more than just a novelty piece kicking around a stable of restored cars - like I said, T conversions like your power unit are ALL I do and all I show. And while payment would be immediate, it would be a while until I could get it out of there. Eric or some of the others who expressed interest in it would probably be able to pick it up quicker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

I'm going to Cape Cod in June or July. Pm me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Jim - sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 12:35 am:

Jim,
Bare blocks are easy to come by and can often be had for less that $100. Check ebay for gunman63. He parts out T for a living and can probably hook you up with a good block very quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

I found a good block today!

I also found it's pristine gas tank, some usable accessories and got a radiator core and shell...
radiator

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration