Rear End Whine?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear End Whine?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

I had to replace a bent axle housing and now I have a whine when running down the road. I put the old guts in good straight housings. I set it up per the book, new inner bearings, thrust washers, seals and so on. After a 10 mile run the bearings were cool and the pumpkin was just warm. Everything turns smooth and quiet on jack stands turning the wheel by hand. What did I miss? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Did you mix old or NOS with new ring and pinyon? I had a noisy rear end after a rebuild until last week when the pinyon Woodruff key gave. I decreased the shims behind the pinyon on the modern spool bearing. Now the rear end is much quieter. Your pinyon could be running too tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

The way we often set up ring and pinion lash today (006-.012") won't work for used gears that were set up at the factory with 25 thou lash. Open up the clearance and things should quiet down. If you are using new gears, try setting the lash at .015" My quietest rear end using NOS Ford gears had .017" lash. No noise on either accelerating or braking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

When I built my Model A rear end, I reused the gears. I tried bluing them and centering up the pattern yada yada yada. The whine was obvious even on the bench. The bluing did come in handy, though. I used it to make sure I put the contact area on the places that were worn. Essentially, I put it right back where it was before I tore it down. Quiet as a mouse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

The ring and pinion are the originals. I just replaced the housings and replaced the thrust washers and inner bearings and sleeves. Looks like it needs to come out. Thanks for the help. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

When you replaced the thrust washers did you mic the old ones and trim the new to the same dimension. If not, that might be all it takes.
I like Hals idea using Prussian blue to replicate the original mesh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

No, the old babbit washers were worn so the rear had a lot of end play. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

Pat, after replacing the parts you did, what did you end up with for the ring/pinion clearance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 01:54 am:

About .015. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration