Fan Hub 1927 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fan Hub 1927 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

I replaced the shaft and bushings on my fan hub due to a wobble. Now th at I have it back on, the hub seems to tight and turns with some effort. I tighten it to the point the adjuster will not move. Bird haven reemed the bushings out before sending them back. Shouldnt the hub be free turning.

I hope my photo comes across.

George Schmidt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Mine spins very freely without a wobble.

Perhaps a job for yellow Timesaver? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

"I tighten it to the point the adjuster will not move" may be your problem. A T fan belt shouldn't be much tighter than the band on your wrist watch... Only barely tight enough to make the fan turn. A few ounces of pull with one finger on the end of one fan blade should allow the fan hub to slip on the belt.

For quite a while (like 20 years), there have been some T fan bearings around that are plain brass instead of bronze and they have a tendency to gall on the shaft and seize up unless you ream them way oversize...

Several years ago I started using "off the shelf" industrial flanged bronze bearings in T fan hubs. The bronze bearing I order is from McMaster-Carr. It has the correct flange and correct inside diameter, but it has to be placed on a mandrel and turned down on the outside to fit your fan hub. I precision hone these bushings to .0015"-.002" fit on a good shaft and they work as they are supposed to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

When placing the fan shaft, behind the blades is the fan shaft flat end in the hub. That shaft has threads on the other end for the nut, but also has flats on the end of the shaft.

When you adjust the tension with the eccentric, those flats on the fan shaft have to be held in correct place to retain the free-wheeling of the fan hub, when you wrench on the nut, otherwise the nut will turn with the shaft and the shaft will pull too tight, binding the fan hub.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration