Stuck starter bendix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stuck starter bendix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Prindle on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Well I made the cardinal sin of not having the spark lever retarded when starting the car. I was trying to get it started after being winterized and it was reluctant. It fired and I advanced the spark, but it stalled. I then tried again without moving the lever up and it coughed and sputtered then the starter just stopped. I tried to turn it over by hand thinking I had jammed the starter with a backfire. It was stuck solid. One of my books suggested putting the hand lever forward and rolling the car forward to free the stuck gears. That didn't work either.

Any suggestions on how to free the starter bendix ?. I have the rear cover off and as many of the parts that will come off the shaft at this point. But the gear itself is stuck fast to the flywheel.

I was thinking of loosening the starter mounting bolts to see if that play would help. I figured maybe I should ask here first though.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

I haven't had to do it myself, but I have seen others on the forum recommend putting the car in high with the engine off and pushing the car back and forth to free up the stuck Bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Scott - I've had to do just as Mark suggests, on a couple different Model "T's, and it has worked every time. The car will only move something less than a foot back and forth, and you can kind of develop a "rhythm" and might have to keep this "bouncing" back and forth for a minute or two, but I'm betting it'll break free. FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

probably bent the starter shaft.
Please let us know the out-come though.

I did the exact same thing just this afternoon on a Model A Towncar.
Fortunately it fired and kicked back on the first piston that came up, so it was not going fast and strong enough to do any harm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Scott, I would suggest you remove the bendix drive then the starter to make sure you did not damage something.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Prindle on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Okay,

I did try the rocking back and forth method (a lot !) with no success. I had pulled the bendix cover off and could see it was jammed up against the flywheel.

I looked in the black book bible and in one place it mentioned rocking the car back and forth with the clutch engaged as was suggested elsewhere and by you guys. Then it said if that didn't work loosen the four screws holding the starter in place and try rocking again.

Low and behold it worked on the first try, it popped and was free !!.

I pulled the bendix out to check the teeth on it and the flywheel and they were both fine. The starter shaft was still straight as well. So I buttoned it back up and started the car with a rear wheel jacked up and it ran fine.

Whew and thsnks for the advice !.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration