A bit of hub dentistry

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A bit of hub dentistry
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

The sound of this project made me think of a session in the dentist's chair, but I didn't need a shot in the gum to do it. The front wheel hubs made from March 1917 to June 1918 used ball bearings. The cups for those bearings extended out over the spindle opening enough that they could be driven out with a drift from the other side, and the notches provided in later drums for that purpose weren't needed for the outer cup.

There were notches provided for the inner cup, but they weren't as deep as the ones in later hubs. With the change to roller bearings, notches became necessary for removing the outer cup, and deeper ones were needed to reach the inner cup.

So I'm adding outer notches and deepening inner notches in these 17-18 hubs to allow cup removal. Yes, I know you can weld a bead on the cups to shrink them, or even weld something on them to hammer from behind. That's fine if they're no good. But if they're good and you want to use them in another wheel, it's an expensive waste.

I made a little gauge the thickness of a Timken cup to see when I have the notch deep enough.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration