Cheep way to replace tack strip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cheep way to replace tack strip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay fredrickson on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

I replaced the tack strip on my 27 touring by buying a piece of 1 by 2 of Azek window trim molding. Which is made of pvc. I cut it down to 3/4 by 1 inch which is 8 ft. long. This material can be formed very easily, by using a heat gun to warm it up. Just start at one end and heat about a foot of it and shape it to fit, and then drill holes in about 6 inches apart fasten that. After that just heat and form it to fit and start putting in screws about 6 inches apart or where needed till you are all around. when it cools it will stay formed that way. Worked great and cost about 9 dollars compared to 150.00. I would show pictures but I don' know to post them.I am not very good at computers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

It sound like you are pretty good at bending trim molding. Good solution.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

I did something similar a few years ago only mine was ripped from a 3/4" by 2" PVC trim plank bought from Home Depot.

If everyone realized how easy this is and how well the tacks hold in the PVC material, I don't think they would do it any other way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

Just think you guys,......if some of these old Fords last "ANOTHER" hundred years, some of the "purists" at that time will be arguing amongst themselves about just how old PVC is and whether or not it was actually "factory installed"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Jay where can you buy the material. Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay fredrickson on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

I bought it at home depot for nine dollars for a 8' piece. This was the first time I had done this and it really easy, I was surprised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Does the tack strip provide any reinforcement of the back panel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay fredrickson on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:14 am:

David Yes it does, this material is really strong and holds the tacks really good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay fredrickson on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:42 am:

David Yes it does it is real regid and it holds the nails real good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Sounds a lot like the stuff Fordwood sells (for considerably more than 9.00).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration