Brake Lever Pins Loose

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brake Lever Pins Loose
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

I'm replacing the E-brake linkage, as all the original parts are missing. However, the 4 new camshaft lever pins (.187") are loose in the holes of the cams and cam levers (ie, too small). Should I get larger pins or just use roll pins?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Get larger pins. Roll pins are hard and tend to shatter over time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

When you say loose, by how much might that be? If they are just a close slip fit, then consider that they are supposed to be riveted in place. In process of riveting they might expand enough to fit nicely.
Just a thought!. I'm with Jack on the roll pins, I wouldn't want to use them there..
If you have to buy new pins, then I would consider tapered pins. Ideally you would also need a tapered reamer as well. Then you would have a GREAT fit!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Thanks. These are new pins from the same supplier as the related parts. They are loose enough to almost drop right through the holes. So the original pins were straight and peened on the ends?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

The ones I have worked on all appeared to be peened over pretty good. I have seen no evidence the originals were tapered. I'm just suggesting it as a possible solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

P.J.

Sounds pretty normal. The pins are supposed to be peened over at each end. When you do so, the diameter of the pin should expand into the hole to make a tight fit. Think of it more as a rivet than a pin. DON'T use roll pins. As Jack says, they will break eventually. If you do use tapered pins, I would still suggest peening the small end to prevent possible loosening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Don't think of them as pins, they are rivets. Use a 3 pound hammer with adequate backing, 2nd person and an anvil is good, and pound both ends of the pin, It will tighten in the hole. If you look at originals you will see that both ends are squashed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

Will do. Does anyone have a photo to show how the cam levers are positioned? As I say, mine were missing. I assume they lean toward the rear of the car.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

Correct, the levers should lean towards the rear of the car when the cams are level. Be careful, there are RH and LH cams and more than one person has gotten them mixed up, in which case the levers won't be pointed in the correct direction. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

You can never reproduce the factory fit of the peddle shaft rivets, once taken apart.

They will never swell again in the over size hole.

The peddles were more of a press fit in the shaft holes.

If the pin shears on the brake, or clutch shaft, it is not a good thing.

I always spot weld with a wire welder in the ends of the reverse, and brake peddle.

The low peddle, I drill a hole on each side of the inside cam, and spot through the hole on each side.

The high shaft is spotted between the two arms on the high lever shaft.

I have being doing this for 40 years, after I found the first loose peddle shaft.

It will also cut down on ones liability.

They are also easy to remove with out damage to the Ford parts, if that would be needed some day.

Herm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

This is what it looks like, on the high shaft, and the filled holes, at least on one side, of the low peddle, you can see the welding stain.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Thanks, Herm. I am referring to the emergency/parking brake cam lever, however.

Phil

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration