Removing Rear Window Trim on 1927 Tudor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing Rear Window Trim on 1927 Tudor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 03:15 am:

As mentioned in previous posts, I am repainting my car and am working on the interior right now. What I want to do is to remove the three-piece metal trim (frame) around the window and wire-wheel off all of the paint and rust that lies underneath.

All of the interior paneling was gone when I bought the car. I mention this because there is a strip of metal between the front and rear windows that, I assume, fabric was attached to. The bottom part of the strip is loose and it appears that it is mounted with very thin sheet metal screws (with a smooth head) and a staple-like thing that sits across the head. Behind the strip is the trim that I want to remove.

I have three questions:

1) How do I safely remove the strip without damaging anything?
2) Do the loose rivets need to be removed from the strip prior to painting or left for the new fabric?

3)I would like to know what materials I will need to restore the channels, etc. of the rear and front windows. I came across this thread, but it doesn't address the rear windows.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/461404.html?1405397062

Thanks.

- Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

I'll be right back after supper and after I look at my restored 26 tudor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

OK ... I'm now fed and eyeballed the new Classitique upholstery in my Tudor. Jim, there are two vertical and parallel upholstery material strips about 1" wide that extends from behind the metal window sills up to the headliner. Then there's a horizontal 1" wide upholstery strip above that long rear window. These two 1" strips cover the forward and top metal sides of the 3 sided metal strip you want to remove. The rear vertical side of that metal strip is covered by the upholstery panel ( fabric covered cardboard) that surrounds the far back window. These fabric covered cardboard strips are held on to the 3 sided metal strip by unique fasteners that snap into 3/16" holes in the metal strip. Remove the upholstery to enable you to remove the 3 sided metal trim to paint. Call Elizabeth at Classtique to order these pieces with preposition fastener 'chingaderos'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

George:

So, do the chingaderos come with the upholstery set? Also, can I use a screwdriver and just pull them out?

Who did your upholstery? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Yes and yes. Use your screwdriver to remove. I don't know the technical term for them otherwise they're probably available at any big city upholstery shop. After Ken painted the body/doors I installed the regulators, felt channels, glass, 3 sided metal trim then simply snapped the cardboard covered strips into the holes in the trim. Order from Classtique and her 'chingaderos' are perfectly positioned.. I must add that the 32 threads per square inch countersunk, slotted oval headed screws fasten the trim with what I've recently learned is called 'captured nuts'. These little square nuts are somehow encapsulated in the car body and can't be removed like the screws are.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration