Commutator Spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Commutator Spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:42 am:

Anyone know of a source for the timer spring? Mine has disappeared. I know the roller assembly is available, but it would be easier to just reinstall a spring.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Before exploring exotic sources that require shipping, check the selection of generic springs at the local hardware store. You may get lucky and find one that fits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:55 am:

I've read that a spring from a ball point pen can be adapted to use.

YMMV

Talk slow, think fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dana A. Crosby in Glendale, Az on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 11:09 am:

The spring in mine broke a couple of months ago. I found no source for a spring by itself. I did buy the roller/spring from Lang's. After doing so, most of the "old timers" in our club told me about ball point pen springs etc. My "emergency" parts box now contains a selection of small springs, including ball point ones. I was 60 miles from home when mine broke....now at least I will have a chance to make it home if it ever happens again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 11:18 am:

RE: breaking down in the middle of nowhere…..

Carry a spare timer w/ roller (brush or flapper depending on brand). Put it with your spare coil(s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 11:34 am:

A New Day timer may be a little more reliable, but I'd still carry a spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Really? All these spare parts? That doesn't sound right at all from the same people that call the distributor unreliable. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

While tracking down an ignition problem, is it ok to test each coil for buzz by jumping its upper post from the coil box to a ground, regardless of where the engine is in rotation? That won't damage anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Ken, my truck has a distributor and I keep spare parts for it too. In fact, I recently had to use the spare condenser. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Henry:

That in itself will not hurt the coil and will force it to buzz if there is battery power to the coil box and the coil box switch (if any) is turned on. The one thing that is important is that the coil itself must have the spark plug wire connected to something not more than 1/4" away from ground so as not to cause the spark to jump inside the coil because it has no other gap in place to jump across.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration