Wire gage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wire gage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:41 am:

What size wire goes from the mag. to the Kw switch box? Also do I need a diode between battery and alt, so battery won't feed back into the volt meter and alt. Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Wire sizes are here:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:53 am:

What volt meter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 11:32 am:

What alt. are you using? Some should have everything built in, some need an outside regulator. Where are you planing to put the volt/amp meter, to check the battery charge or output from alt? Will it be keyed or on all the time?
Re mag wire, which car are you working on? I think the early cars used the same as the spark plug wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Alternator? Diode? Voltmeter? What kind of car are you talking about? This is a Model T forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 05:21 am:

I know this is a model t forum, that is why I ask model t questions here. it is a 1911 with a 1926 motor and transmission. It runs well on battery, was not hooked up for mag. I put in a new mag. ring and charged the magnets. The switch is a KW that has mag off bat only so the diagram Steve sent me is not any use to me because I have used it many times before, because the KW switch is different. The car had a becker generator on it when I got it. So being on a low budget I can't change. I was told a volt meter was better for a generator but the volt meter shows discharge when I shut the motor off, that is why I was thing diode. I was thinking Run a wire from mag post to mag. on the KW switch. sorry I offended anybody for not having a period correct car but at a car show where the judges didn't grow up with 50s cars, I have walked away with best of show. You have got to here 250 mussel car drivers, with up to 100 thousand cars holler. If it looks good, drives good and parades good that's good enough for me. Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 06:05 am:

Voltmeters don't show a discharge, just volts.
I would expect about 7 volts with the engine running fast, and 6 volts with it stopped. (13.5 and 12v if you have changed to 12v) It will only go to zero if it's disconnected - as is usual with a car voltmeter. If it's reading all the time, it should probably be connected to the other side of the switch.
If your instrument has positive and negative scales it's an ammeter - which will show charge or discharge.
I'm not familiar with the becker generator, but if there's a discharge with it stopped, it may be that the cut-out is not cutting out.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration