1926 Model T Delivery Van

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Model T Delivery Van
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

I have to share this with all of you. I just purchased this 1926 Delivery Van. My dream car! After getting it home and inspecting it, I have discovered faint lettering on the side of the body. The van originally belonged to the "Home Tea and Coffee Co." East St. Louis IL. The company was started in 1913 and owned by Frank Holten, a Illinois state senator from 1916-1922.
My Plan for the van is to leave it as is, other than to restore the lettering on the van body and to put rear fenders back on it.
Here is where I need your help please. Some of the words on the van are readable and some are not. I need to know if anyone knows any more history on the "Home Tea and Coffee Co." Then maybe I can figure out what all of the words are, where I can get the lettering restored.
There is also a faint image of a tea pot on each side. I think this truck and its history needs to be shared.
I also need to know, if anyone knows, if there were any depot hack rear fenders made for 1926. If so I need a pair. Rust color would be good.

After I got it home.

Before Picked up.

Holton's Coffee on rear.

Inside

Something I can't make out?

This looks to say ____? Cups

East St. Louis

Thanks for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Oh my, no help here but I think my heart just skipped a beat...so cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Does the chassis have the commercial chassis firewall? pictures please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

So glad you want to keep it as is. I was watching it on ebay and we had talked about it on an earlier thread. I would question even trying to restore the lettering as that would be very difficult to accomplish without it being glaringly obvious. At any rate, congratulations and good luck!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

I'm going to guess that the rear fenders were touring with a "custom made" attachment to fill the gap and attach to the body. I know of a very original FORD made/sold delivery car up here that was done like that. It, however, was built on a roadster body. The body I am referring to is listed in the '26 Ford Canada parts book. Yours is certainly very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van. Saint Louis, MO on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

I love anything local to Saint Louis, even if this happens to be on the IL side of the river. Some research helped me to find:

Blue Book of Illinois-1921
Frank Holten (Representative, Democrat) 114 Saint Louis Ave, East Saint Louis; was born on a farm is Saint Claire county in 1868. Educated in the common school of the county. For thirty years the proprietor of the Home Tea and Coffee Company. He has been a member of the musicians union and also is a member of the Elks, W. C. U., K. of C., and foresters. He served as a member of the city council of East Saint Louis for six years and as city treasurer for two years. Was elected to the House in 1916 and again in 1918 and 1920.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan in Illinois on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Richard, that truck is just awesome! May I suggest using Spar-Urethane on that wood when you get your lettering back on. On the recommendation of a guy who restores old wooden corn shellers, I just used it on my TT's wood (about to post pictures on the forum) and it turned out wonderfully. It is what they use to protect wood on wooden boats. I used a satin instead of gloss, so it didn't look too...well glossy...but it deepened the color of the wood beautifully. That red in your truck would look amazing with it. I used it on the metal too. It is a great product.

My guess is "More cups" for the one picture....as in "more cups for your dollar"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

That is indeed a terrific panel truck and should be preserved as is :-)

Shouldn't be too hard to find a pair of matching rust colored roadster/coupe fenders '26-'27 and they should fit with minor work.

Here is example of roadster/coupe rear fender on an open truck.

Lots of nice ones can normally be found at swaps, these were at Chickasha a year ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

The Coupe fenders were also used on Pickups. Looks like they should work on this Delivery Van.

Congratulations, Richard, that's quite a score. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

I did a quick Google search on "Home Tea and Coffee Co." East St. Louis and all that came up were some period newspaper and book clippings that confirmed that the firm existed, but didn't provide any logos or other details. :-(

Great find!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming. I really want to find that special someone to help with restoring the artwork. I will keep all of your suggestions in mind.
I did research also and find the information posted on the internet too. I am going to contact the Illinois historical society and the East St. Louis library to see if there is any information. With any luck maybe I can find a picture of the truck as original.
It does have a metal commercial firewall with the original ford tag. I will get pictures.
From the outside of the running board to the outside of the body is 9". So I'm thinking I will have to cut a pair of rear fender down in width to make them fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Ricky

I read in a wood working magazine once the best way to protect outdoor wood with a clear finish was to use dark base outdoor latex paint in gloss but without any color tint. It dries to a clear very low gloss and affords better UV protection than varnish. I have never tried it but remembered it and figured I would try it one day. Might be worth experimenting with.

Might also ask museum folks what the best way to protect it would be. They tend to stop degradation rather than restore which is what you are trying to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Awesome. I loved it on eBay and even better that you have it. There aren't many that wonderful. Enjoy it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

This is the photo from the eBay listing, shows the correct 1926 commercial chassis firewall.

Those rear fenders, when using Coupe/Roaster may need a bit of cutting, but should fit up good. The rest of the sheet metal is std. '26-'27 Ford, splash shields, and running boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hallett on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

That's a nice panel truck Richard, I done a Google search and found a city directory which lists the Home Tea and Coffee Company's address. I didn't find any pictures yet.

"CITY DIRECTORY OF EAST ST. LOUIS ILLINOIS AND A"

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%22Home+Tea+and+Coffee+Co.%22+East+St.+Loui s
The
Home Tea and Coffee Co.
TEAS, COFFEES, BAKING POWDER,
SPICES, TOILET SOAPS & EXTRACTS
OUR WAGONS DELIVER EVERYWHERE
MAIN OFFICE BRANCH STORE
323 Collinsville Ave., East St. Loui.; AIain Street, Collinsville, 111.
Kinloch, Phone 887-R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 06:30 am:

Glad you are going to keep it as is. I think a lot of us were watching it on Ebay with anticipation someone here would get it.

Congratulations

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 07:51 am:

Thank you Roger. That kind of information is really helpful in figuring out what it says on the side. I can make out the word "main" and also "teas" Maybe I can put some of this other information together with it.
I got another suggestion that the back may say "More Cups" "Per Pound"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Ricky, Have you tried calling the phone number Roger was able to furnish for the Home Tea Co.? They should be able to give you the info your looking for. You'd be lost without your friends watching over your shoulders and pointing out little overlooked items like this. I'm here to help. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Mark Eyre listed a pair of rear fenders for sale on our Classifieds section yesterday.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/533958.html?1429035105

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

I saw that but I need a pair that has no paint.
I have also contacted the st. Clair County IL historical society who is very interested in helping with the history of the truck and company.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration