Question about swap meets in California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about swap meets in California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

Ok there's San Diego in Feb. Bakersfield in Arp. Auburn end of May. How do each compair. Are there any other big meets for the old stuff and Model T? What about camping at the meet? If I did travel out west and brought my New stuff would there be enough interest? J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:36 am:

Bakersfield is a big one in the SoCal area and perhaps all of Cal. I've heard. Don't know about up north. Other swaps would be SanFernando (small) Orange County has one but haven't been to that one.
LongBeach Club has been running one for years in July I been lucky to find stuff there but it's only one day. There's one in Riverside also, don't know how big.
Geo. n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:56 am:

Bakersfield was great (last weekend) for Model T stuff. What do you mean by "my New stuff"?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Bailey -- Jerry is making some new parts and accessories for Model T's. He had some at Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:43 am:

The Auburn show put on by the Mother Lode Model T Club has more Model T stuff then any other meet I know of in Northern California. I have always done well there finding Model T treasures to add to our collection.

http://www.motherlodemodelt.com/swapmeet_adv.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:27 am:

The Big 3 swap meet held in San Diego is an old meet. It moved several times before it's present location. There is still brass era and model T parts/cars but not like years in the past. This has happened to most swap meets but not Bakersfield. We attend the Big 3 swap meet each year...sell a few items and do a lot visiting.

Bakersfield is the best swap meet in the West for brass and model T parts/cars. It is advertised as a pre WWII parts/cars and car related items only meet. It is smaller in size (Less Walking Distance) compared to San Diego's but has much more to offer in a condensed area for what most of us are looking for. Not like going to Hershey where you walk for miles.
Several friends said that Bakersfield had much more brass compared to Chickasha this year. You will find people from across the big pond and other areas attending Bakersfield. My thoughts are....Bakersfield is attended by more old car people from across the country compared to any other swap meet held out west.

It has been years since going to Auburn. At the time I went, it was also a good swap meet, but smaller compared to Bakersfield. There are also several other good meets to attend in southern Calif. The Long Beach and Riverside swap meets are also fun events to attend with mostly model T parts/cars.

Years ago, when Bill Harrah held the Reno Swap meet....it was the best swap meet in the west for early parts/cars. The last swap meet in Reno that I attended was much smaller in size compared to San Diego and has more later items.

I started attending old car swap meets in 1958 with my father and still enjoy going to them. Don't buy much anymore, spend more time selling the extra items that I acquired over the years and no longer need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of going to the Auburn meet end of May. Does anyone know if camping at your space is permitted? I'll be on the cheap. What does the weather do most of the time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:17 am:

There's also the Modesto Model A Club swap meet at the Stanislaus County Fairgrounds in Turlock, CA held, I think, on the last full weekend of January each year. It's pretty good size. I haven't been able to attend the last couple of years, but reports from those who have say it's become somewhat disappointing for T parts. Maybe someone who attended this year could provide a brief report.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Auburn in late May averages in the high seventies. Rain is extremely unlikely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:53 am:

The California swap meets are not even close to what they used to be as far as being able to find good stuff. Actually, all swap meets are getting that way, even Hershey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Old collectors have been buying up the good stuff for years and it's getting scarce. Now you have to go buy it at auctions when they croak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

No camping allowed at Auburn, although they used to allow set up the night before--not certain that's allowed now. Going "on the cheap" in Auburn area is difficult, too many "high dollar" folks live around there now; maybe a member here would let you camp out at their home/ranch??
Steve, based on recent weather, count on the high eighties! Of course, the weather could always change and it be cool and rainy (not likely!) Bring sun screen! Good food there too, PIE!!! :-)
Turlock meet is expensive to go to & to find a space to sell--used to be someone would have to die to get an open space! Last times I was there, the T pickin's were mighty slim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

At the Auburn swap meet you can set up after 4 pm on Saturday and camp in your space. John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration