Did I miss a memo? A rant.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Did I miss a memo? A rant.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Ten days ago, my computer coughed and died. We thought it was the hard drive, and replaced it. Then it continued to do the same thing - work for a few minutes, then freeze. Thought it might be the power supply. Replaced that. Still the same.

That leaves the Mother Board. These days, nobody wants to even take a crack at repairing those, and replacements aren't available, so, like most things these days, I was told to throw it away and start over.

I've heard awful things about Windows 8, from folks who use it and hate it. So, how do I continue with Windows 7? Buy a used computer!

Found one in good shape, for a good price (CPU only). Set about installing my programs, etc. and found it had been specifically set up for a particular operation - maybe a doctor's office? This required an incredible amount of downloading and installing of "patches" and "updates." Finally, got my programs in place.

Thank God, I had off-site backup. Downloaded my files, and took 2 days to get them all installed back in their correct places.

However, I discovered that off-site backups don't copy your old email files, or your email contact list. What a job!!

Anyway, I finally got everything working, and went back to this Forum, which I normally check every day.

Found it to be a different format!

I've tried everything I know, to return to the old format, to no avail.

Did I miss a changeover during my 10 days away, or is there some magic button I haven't pressed yet?

Any advice would be welcome.

And here's my advice to you, based on my experience: If you can figure out how, print your email contacts list, and put it in a safe place. If you can't print it directly, take the time to copy it manually, and do likewise. If you ever have to go through what I just did, you'll be ever so happy you did this one little thing.

Oh, and don't forget to get automatic off-site backup. Of ALL your files. Mine backs up every day at 1:00. I got all my pictures back, and all my Word files. Also all the QuickBooks files, which is critical!

I've heard it said, and I believe it: "It's not a question of WHETHER your computer will crash, but WHEN!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

No change to the format on my PC...must be something with your "new" machinery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

LOL. Welcome to the world of Microsoft:-)

Sorry. I feel your pain

I was headed for the same problem so I copied everything to a 1 TB usb hard drive and purchased a used HP pro-book that I have on a docking station so it acts like a desktop with a normal key board and monitor.

I also back up everything to a 500 GB hard drive that I store off site. I also back up my wife's computer and my work computer. The biggest problem is remembering when the last backup was done. At last count I have the 1TB usb drive and two 500 gb drives and a bunch og 40 GB drives.

My son says he has 4 small 1 TB drives for more to use when I am ready.
Small??? Is he outa his mind????

I remember when a 10 GB drive was considered to be big. - crap I remember when two floppy drives was high tech.

I must be getting old

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

I've gone through I think 5 Windows based PC's since 1999 and finally I followed through with my threat to find (what some say) a REAL computer and bought an Apple IMAC. Not the most expensive computer on earth, but not the cheapest either. Just hope it lives up to its reputation. Guess I'll know in about 5 years, as none of my others barely made it past 3-4 years without starting to act up badly. At least I'm away from that ridiculous Windows 8/8.1, now soon to be replaced with Windows 10 I hear!! (what happened to 9?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

I use 8.1 and love it. Never have had any problems with it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Windows 7 Retail versions are no longer available but you can still get OEM versions. I would NOT buy any version off eBay. You are almost always guaranteed to get a hacked or stolen version that may last 90 days, if you're lucky.

If you previously bought a Retail version, you can reinstall it on a new PC if it's no longer used on the old PC. That's the difference between a Retail version and an OEM version. OEM versions are one machine only.

http://www.amazon.com/microsoft-windows-7-8-software/b?ie=UTF8&node=1286119011

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

I had a Windows machine. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Never again. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

The problem is that M$ got rid of their Outlook Express e-mail when they went to Win7. Too bad since it was a great program. As usual, everything you can get for Win 7 is junk. I think thunderbird is the least offensive. Naturally, none of them will import Outlook express DBF files.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Peter - You may have already checked this, but double check that this website is in your compatibility view list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 03:41 am:

PC's are ok, they're my machine of choice for drawing. You just have to stop using Windows products is all...they've got so many holes and back doors that can be exploited they're almost totally useless.
Go Linux, if you like the windows style environment Mint or Cinnamon should do you, they've even got a Linux XP which does a pretty good job of mimicking Windows XP, but without all the problems of the Windows product.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 07:41 am:

When you get tired of all that windows foolishness, get a MAC and you will love it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Nahhh, ya get more bang for your buck with PC and they're easy to trouble shoot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:42 am:

I'm with Martin Go Linux I prefer Ubuntu because when I get users to convert it looks and works like what they are used to with the small exception that the "X" to close a program or browser window is on the left! "Clam" is the default anti-virus and is updated weekly for free!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:53 am:

Peter, The format for this forum is the same on my computer and has not changed since the dawn of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:31 am:

No detectable format change here. A suggestion for email - Yahoo email is 'off-site storage', so you're able to go onto ANY computer and retrieve your address book information...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration