Proper floor board fastener

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Proper floor board fastener
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

what type screws go into plates around petals and what is used to hold the floor board in place thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

My floorboards just "lay" in there on all 4 of my T's.

If they are suppose to be screwed down I didn't realize that. Don't know anyone who has quite honestly or if they did I am unaware of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

What year T are you talking about Harold? The 'New and Improved' had twisty metal fasteners that turned 90 degrees to hold the angled floorboards in place. They are riveted onto both metal floorboard supports at each end of the wooden floorboards. Any earlier T floorboards just lay there as John said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

Some T's used nails and some screws to hold the plates around pedals. use the encyclopedia on this site to help tell which for your year of car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

I don't know about the improved cars, but in all my pre-26 T's the floor boards are held in place by gravity. I believe the plates around the pedals were originally fastened with small nails, but I use little round-head wood screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

He's talking about the trim plates around the pedals and the parking brake handle that are fastened to the surface of the floor boards.

Round head wood screws - John Regan can probably tell you the exact size.

http://www.funprojects.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Earlier cars used wood screws.

Picture of early '09 original floorboard.

1913 Ford Shops and methods.

The later T's, (note his is a '21 depot hack) began using more rapid methods, and cheaper.

My '24 original pedal plates have holes for screws. These are original floorboards, and the lower pedal plates are just secured with the tabs underneath that are formed in the plates. No screws were in the screw holes.

The upper board has rivets and the tabs on the plate to hold the pedal plate to the metal draft prevention plate. I added some wood screws for extra security in the few original holes in the metal pedal plate. Nails are used on the underside stringer for the main floorboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Some pedal trim was held in place by bending tabs over. Guess it depends on what year you are asking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

On my original late '25 floorboards, the pedal trim plates are held to the wood with semi-hollow rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Calvin Watts on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

Floor boards should be fastened down. If the top board slides down over the middle board it will lock all the pedals. I know from experience. Visited a corn field when car wouldn't stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:33 am:

I used screws in mine too, but the top plate overlaps the floorboard below it. Between the channel groove on the floorboards themselves and the pedal plates overlap, they're not slipping anywhere.

Oh did I mention I like brass? T's need something to break up all the unrelieved black. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:46 am:

My '19 has it's original floorboards and they look identical to the black ones Dan posted above. Nails around the brake lever trim and folding tabs around the pedals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Looks like Harold has a 21 depot hack. likely wooden risers. I would suggest countersinking a few wood screws here and there to hold those errant floorboards in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Dan Treace covered the subject pretty well. The later cars have tabs that are bent over under the floor boards, AND as mentioned, semi-tubular rivets. The 25-27 floorboards have a draft deflector riveted to the underside of the floor board. The early cars use a steel plate held on with round head slotted wood screws, whereas the later cars are simply stamped steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:59 am:

I need those for on the trailer, otherwise the wind blow them out.
Toon
2069R
2070R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Anthonie; Nice idea, but do something about those Phillip head screws!!! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration