Cost to import a model T into New Zealand via US

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cost to import a model T into New Zealand via US
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

I'm about to drive to Christchurch to pick up a freshly imported Brassy for a friend and I thought some readers might be interested in the costs. This car was shipped via New York by itself in a 20' container, shipping was $4,000. Its cheaper from the west coast plus 2 cars in one container is another saving if possible.

Here is the charges once the ship docks in NZ as of 31st April 2015-

Port Service Charges - $485.00 *
Delivery Order - $ 50.00 *
Administration Fee - $ 15.00 *
Biosecurity Fee - $25.00 *
Unpacking & Facility Fee - $195.00 *
Container Cartage - $245.00 *
MPI Fummigation - $295.00 *
MPI Ramp & Inspection Attendance Fee - $50.00 *
MPI Wash Container Cost - $130.00 *
MPI Vent Seal Cost - $56.00 *
MPI Fumo Pad Fee - $90.00 *
MPI Inspection - $135.00 *
MPI Re-Inspection Fees -$95.00 *
Customs Clearance - $85.00 *
Edi Fee - $10.00 *
MPI BACC Fee - $25.00
GST Advance Fee - $25.00 *
NZTA Border Inspection Fee - $85.00 *
NZTA Levy - $5.50 *
Gst on Imported Goods -$5,097.00
Customs Transaction Fee - $40.77 *

Sub Total- $7,239.27
GST -$321.34
Total - $7560.61
GST is "Goods & Service Tax"

1.Purchase price
2.Cartage to Sea Port
3.Shipping cost
4.The above arrival costs. Note - (The GST on Imported Goods amount is variable, set by the purchase price)
5.On the road costs once here.

All above costs are in $NZ

So a $12,000us T on the far side of the US might cost you $27,000 nz to have it on the road here.

Note - current exchange rate is $1us costs $1.34nz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Kevin,
I know absolutely nothing of the tax system in NZ, but the GST on imported goods ($5,097.00), the GST advance fee ($25.00), and the GST at the bottom ($321.34) sure seems heavy. It's nearly half the original $12,000 U.S. cost. I guess if you convert it all to $NZ it's about a third the cost, but it still seems costly.

Just out of curiosity what would your cost list look like if you did this in reverse, that is is a resident of the U.S. had a similar car shipped from NZ to USA?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

Have no idea but there was a nice T for sale here I read in another forum that would have needed the reverse process if the poster had purchased it.
For a start no GST for you guys coming in, shipping costs probably the same and being a small country the cartage to a port would be less. The real benefit would be your exchange rate, everything would be in your favour including the purchase price. Dont forget that our handle bars are on the correct side lol. Doesn't make much difference in a T as mine is a left hooker over here, I dont drive fast enough to have passing problems when by myself. If you ever found something over here drop me a note and I could research the costs/process for you.
ps: Sorry to mislead you on the GST amount, its 15% of the purchase price in $nz. a $12,000us car is about $16,000nz so would only occur a $2,400 GST on purchase fee. The Brassy I'm picking up was much more expensive hence the higher GST on purchase value fee.

(Message edited by Rata Road on April 13, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Yep, we charge that fumigation fee on any thing from New York that comes into the Republic of Texas too. That's to neutralize any Bloomberg anti-gun virus that might be in the container.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Fellows, just for interest, the following applied to my import of my 27 Tudor into Australia, from New York into Melbourne.

Rather than jump through all the hoops myself, I engaged an import agent to do the work. His flat, fixed fee was $2900 all inclusive. This included all fees ex USA, all inspection and customs and import paperwork, transport costs and transfers at each end. The only additional expense for me was the GST payable.

My $8900 ebay bid cost me just a shade under
$13000 landed in my back yard.

Of interest is the way he kept the greedy banks' hands off the funds. I paid directly into his account. He paid directly into his shipper's account in New York, the shipper making the payment to the vendor. As well as saving all the bank grabs, the way the transaction was routed meant that if any difficulties were encountered, they would be solved within the US rather than from off-shore.

Do you think I got a good deal? You bet I did!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

I have a friend who is a collector of old engines/tractors in Masterton, North Island, NZ.
He told me about the horrors of importing to NZ.
And to add insult to injury, as I understand it, once you have imported something like that it's nearly impossible to sell it again outside of NZ....... ?
Unlike the Heritage thing in Australia where one can practice a bit of entrepreneurship if the article doesn't meet Heritage status.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 03:38 am:

Alan the other benefit you had was the Aussie dollar was probably higher than the us at the time. Today the $8,900us would cost you $11,723aus!
Sounds like you got a bargain, well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

This is quite interesting documentary regarding importing older cars. Also answered a lot of questions for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVj5XQYAi8

Norman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 03:50 am:

Most of those fees are paying for nothing but a stamp on a sheet of paper.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration