Marine conversions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Marine conversions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan varacins on Monday, April 13, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Does anyone know what became of the marine conversion that Steve Husa posted last June?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

The conversion is still on craigslist.
California, INLAND Empire, Type in 1927 or 1927. I do not have the direct link!
I did see that Mark Chaffin had posted the complete link.
I looked at the motor/trans. They came out of a museum from N california.
Send me a private email if you cant find the listing I have a copy at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/4912434630.html

marine conversion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Looks like a fair price to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Glad you posted the photos, the ad has been ended by seller (sold?) just today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

I can't bear to look at these photos. I'm a boat guy and one of these in an old wooden down east lobster boat might cause me to lose my marriage and become homeless. What a gorgeous set up!

What were they asking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Jim
$3,000.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Jim, live on the boat! ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Boat: Hole in water into which you pour money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

Once a Marine, always a Marine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Henry;
or stand in shower wearing your best suit while shredding hundred dollar bills small enough to go down the drain to see what it's like to own a boat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

The Marine conversion is long and painful but it lasts a lifetime. I got mine in San Diego 1975

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan varacins on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Steve, I tried to find the craigslist add but could not. does anyone know if it was sold at that price? I am still looking for one of these, I may have a couple of leads but no deal yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I'm curious - is the distributor shown in the photos posted by Erik a part of the marine conversion? Or, is it just another aftermarket modification that doesn't really have anything to do with the marine conversion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

What is involved in a "marine conversion"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

It's still listed for sale. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/4980061585.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Henry
Considering it doesn't have the T flywheel magnito and does have a starter and generator, I'm going with the distributor was stock original equipment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Les,
I was thinking that too, but on the other hand it has a generator and a starter, so somewhere there's a battery. It could easily have run on regular T coils and a timer. But then I guess since there is no magneto it would run better as shown I the photo.

Anyhow, it's a very interesting gizmo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

I just stumbled on the Craigslist ad, and stole the pics for the good of humanity. Lol. So I know nothing about the conversion as far as the distributor and what not. I can't imagine that there are very many of these floating around anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

I've got a pan, flywheel and bell housing if anyone is interested. Uses T starter and is not as elegant as the one posted above- just saying.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Erik,
"I can't imagine that there are very many of these floating around anymore" is a pun, right? :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Haha, I guess it would be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 01:39 am:

Dan B. - As nobody has answered your question,...."what is involved in a marine conversion?",....I will make an attempt, altho' there must be "experts" on the subject, which I am not:

The engine is equipped with a water cooled exhaust manifold, partly to cool the manifold, and partly as a means of getting rid of the cooling water out thru' the exhaust. The cooling water is "raw water" (sea water) that is pumped in thru' an intake on the bottom of the boat by means of an auxiliary belt or gear driven pump, and either run thru' the engine to cool it (cheap system but not good especially in salt water) or a much better system is running the raw water thru' a heat exchanger which is part of a sealed fresh water system to cool the engine. On the engine pictured in this thread, you'll note that the transmission is attached to what is actually the front of the engine as installed in an automobile. Also, the "transmission" is actually a planetary reduction gear, usually on smaller pleasure craft type engines, a two-to-one planetary reduction gear with reverse. For safety in the interest of fire and explosion prevention, in case of backfire through the carburetor, the carburetor is equipped with a flame arrestor in place of the pretty much unneeded air cleaner on a boat. As far as I can remember, I think that's pretty much the basis of a "marine conversion",....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 01:47 am:

Dan B. - As nobody has answered your question,...."what is involved in a marine conversion?",....I will make an attempt, altho' there must be "experts" on the subject, which I am not:

The engine is equipped with a water cooled exhaust manifold, partly to cool the manifold, and partly as a means of getting rid of the cooling water out thru' the exhaust. The cooling water is "raw water" (sea water) that is pumped in thru' an intake on the bottom of the boat by means of an auxiliary belt or gear driven pump, and either run thru' the engine to cool it (cheap system but not good especially in salt water) or a much better system is running the raw water thru' a heat exchanger which is part of a sealed fresh water system to cool the engine. On the engine pictured in this thread, you'll note that the transmission is attached to what is actually the front of the engine as installed in an automobile. Also, the "transmission" is actually a planetary reduction gear, usually on smaller pleasure craft type engines, a two-to-one planetary reduction gear with reverse. For safety in the interest of fire and explosion prevention, in case of backfire through the carburetor, the carburetor is equipped with a flame arrestor in place of the pretty much unneeded air cleaner on a boat. As far as I can remember, I think that's pretty much the basis of a "marine conversion",....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 02:10 am:

Oops! did it again! Dang! Ya'd think I'd learn,.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 06:33 am:

There are numerous marine conversions including one built by Ford Canada.

It uses a Ford motor and part chassis with dash board. the gearbox is arranged so you get high gear and reverse and the pedals and handbrake allow it to be either in forward (high) neutral or reverse.

It has a water cooled exhaust manifold gear driven and water pump off the timing gear.

This is a drawing from a Canadian sales book.
marine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Thank you for the explanation Harold! Looks to me like a lot of fabrication work had to be done. Price seems very fair although I'm not sure what kind of boat it would work with at 20hp and a lot of weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 10:25 am:

The earlier post has the description of a craft suitable for the Ford engine, includes a sketch.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/456718.html?1404263976

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:02 am:

That description looks to be for a planing hull. If you are not in a hurry, 20 HP will nicely push a displacement hull of a pretty good size. Swing a good size prop at a geared down RPM. In the area where my grandpa had his farm, they all had displacement double-enders, - yes they had to be able to tackle some rough seas, as access to the farm was by sea only; - no roads. A 5 HP single cylinder semidiesel was adequate to propel a 24 footer to hull speed. Another thing that I thought was interesting, was that there was no gear box. They had variable pitch propellers, so just twist the blades and change direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Roar,
What's a "semidiesel"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Alright, how many of you have thrown out/passed on buying a zigzag hand crank like in the drawing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

My Dad's grandfather worked for Brooks Boat Company in Saginaw Michigan. I have a 1920-something catalog, and it has pictures of boats designed for Ford power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

Henry,
They needed a torch to heat a plug going into the combustion chamber/precombustion chamber. Starting one was a bit time consuming. First you had to pump and pressurize the torch, and then pour denatured alcohol into a tray below the vaporizer. I'm sure the procedure is not foreign to most of you. When the torch was lit, you placed it on a tray on the engine and pointed it towards the "plug". When the plug was glowing red, you pulled the spring loaded pin handle out of the flywheel and proceeded to start the engine. With no compression release, you yank it back and forth, bouncing it against compression and hope it would start running in the right direction. Being a two cycle, it would run either way, but the prop was so designed as to be most efficient in only one direction.
Some later engines used a combustible "stick", called a "cigarette", that's what it looked like, that you stuck into a hole in the "plug" to heat it, dispensing with the torch. There didn't seem to be a requirement to have navigation lights on the boats, so there was no electrical system. Later versions were equipped with electrical systems, which made possible electrically heated plugs, compression release, starters and lights.
Now, are you sorry you asked? ;-) Do a search and more information is out there.

Best regards,
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Thanks Roar! I'll look around and see if I can learn a little more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan varacins on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Guys thanks for the info and help tracking down these marine conversions. I think I have a deal going for one or maybe two to have enough parts to keep one running in my 1921 wood launch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Alan
I'm Sorry I haven't got back to you I've been very busy.
If your still interested in the marine transmission I have for a Ford Please let me know...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Steve
I might be interested in the transmission as I have factory converted T marine engine without a transmission

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

And to add to Henry's phrase... also known as "Bring Out Another Thousand"!! Boy don't I know.
After boating for 50 years I'm kinda glad I'm outa that money pit. Oh, now I have 5 money pits!! Oh well, they're actually more fun. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration