OT: Honey, I scrubbed the sink while you were at work...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT: Honey, I scrubbed the sink while you were at work...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:23 am:

;)

etg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:32 am:

You do live on the edge. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:35 am:

Now that the sink is clean she may want you to wipe off the counters:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:38 am:

No worries guys...I fixed it...

erg2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Did she leave a forwarding address??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Best thread of the year! Now I can prove to my bride I am not the only one with priorities!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Forwarding address my eye. Did she give you enough time to get your stuff before throwing you out the door? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:55 am:

You've gone this far. Why not just put it in the dishwasher?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Not T, but parts for my Chevelle.

My wife was not impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:59 am:

I've tried washing car parts in the dishwasher. It doesn't work that well on greasy parts, but it does do a great job removing all traces of dirt and dust on oddly shaped parts with lots of nooks and crannies.

Oh, and yes, I'm single. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:04 am:

I see some of you like to live dangerously. Lol

My wife would be apoplectic. She wouldn't tell me I couldn't per se, but she would flip out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Lol, Derek...keep those pics coming!

Henry, truth be told. I bought that dish washer 4 years and never hooked it up. That may reveal how deep " the problem" really is.

Oh, just in case anyone is curious, the block is coming along nicely with Bar Keeper's Friend and a bilge pump. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Jim,

I suggest drying that block in the oven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Jim, I agree with Jerry. I might also suggest by using the wife's hair dryer, to get to those hidden nooks and crannies, you will just about eliminate any flash rust forming on your valuable parts.

You are a dead man!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

I put it in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees, then used ATF. That's one pic even I won't put online :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

BTW why is this thread Off Topic? Is that not a "T"
block on the sink?I think it is on topic.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

Wives can be funny. When I met mine I had a radiator core in the sink. Her Grandfather had owned a manufacturing company and she was allowed to play there as long as she stayed behind the yellow lines. He even manufactured a Model T Tractor conversion but we haven't found what name it used. Hence an interest in the Doodlebug threads. The Draftsmen and Machinists were very kind to the bosses Granddaughter. That gave her a different attitude than most of the pretty girls I knew.
Looking at our house now I think she was as attracted to the clutter and iron as much as to me. Neither of us place housekeeping very high on the list. However, I think that allows me to get more done on the projects that I can find.
Consequently we don't invite a lot of folks to our house but they are always welcome if they can stand the disarray.

Happy Block Cleaning Jim.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Jim,

You kept track of the nuts & bolts by using her Tupperware I hope?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Jim, When you start resembling that engine, and find that your gaskets are curled or a bit dry, a warm Iron set on steam will uncurl them nicely. A suggestion for the dry gaskets would be to place the gaskets between two dish towels, dampened lightly with water or a light spritz of oil before pressing. You will find the Ironing board provides a perfect surface for pressing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Thank you for understanding guys. After all, it's a lot easier to assemble on the kitchen table now that it's clean. Heehee.

Neat story Richard. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry, ironically she let me use a cake mixer attachment in my cordless drill to mix epoxy. That really sealed the deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Jim,

You definitely got a "keeper" there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

LOL! Fun thread. In preparation for line boring my heavy duty coffee table has had about a hundred pounds of fly wheels to crank shafts and measuring tools for weeks now. Problem is my better half runs a two hundred unit condo cleaning crew with about thirty employees or more. My idea of clean is a little different then hers but some times I win!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

My wife is exceptionally forgiving of my "interests". However, she
has her areas of no-go where it serves well to find "other means" to
avoid a conflict. I read this thread to her and she grumbled something
about "painful death". I took this to mean that she would not look
favorably upon such a practice. Conversely, she often heard to ask
"What delicious food will you be cooking up for me tonight ?". I am
the primary cook in the house, but as the head of Housekeeping, she
will overrule on using the kitchen for cleaning engine blocks.

On the flip side, she encourages my monster shop and the purchase/
installation of special tools or hot water/steam jet for doing a job like this.

Just keep it out of her "zone". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

I really like this new guy. Can I sit next to him?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

We have an interesting arrangement. My first wife passed away, and my wife now had never married before me. We don't fall into the normal roles. We actually spend most of our time trying to out do each other with kindness. She was really excited about the T parts I got yesterday.

She saw this post and laughed and laughed because the kitchen is actually cleaner than when I started. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

You certainly can't get mad at a girl like that when she tracks stuff from the kitchen out into the garage can you.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

Great post guys! I'm lucky no wife or partner and my dogs don't give a damn where I work on the T. Usually confine major parts to the garage but smaller parts often make their way inside for comfort and convenience.

Cheers, Paul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

I rebuilt my generator on the kitchen counter and once built a V8 in the bedroom. My wife was great about it and even helped me until the day I accidentally drilled a hole through the kitchen countertop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

When I was a teen, I crawled under a Model A and got my wool jacket all greasy. Then I soaked it in cleaning solvent and ran it through my mom's ringer. It worked fine except I left the ringers together and they fused. Fortunately I did not have to buy the new automatic washer for her. It worked out for both of us, but dad wasn't very happy.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hallett on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

I haven't tried the dish washer or sink for cleaning parts, but I do like working in the living room. After all you can watch TV while you work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dana A. Crosby in Glendale, Az on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

My wife and I met at a "personal growth seminar" 28 years ago. After the first evening, a bunch of us were walking back to the parking lot and she asked, "who owns that '61 Impala Hardtop", I said "Me", its been 28 years since she asked that. The Impalas have gone away as well as the Corvettes. It's all about Ts now and she still supports my passion. She's a keeper!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 07:50 am:

Roger...I knew T engines were "flex-fuel" but sure didn't know they would also burn corn!!

Jim..I laughed my ass off at the engine on the sink...don't think that would fly in my house!! I think the bad Ohio winter has affected us all!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 10:58 am:

I'm one of the lucky ones, too. My wife of nearly 40 years tells me she used to read antique car books before we even started dating (we've known each other since grade school). We dated in the one antique I owned at the time, a 1926 Dodge Brothers Four Door DeLuxe Sedan -- which I still have. I stopped getting Hemmings because it became her "wish" book. She has always loved to tour in the cars and can even be found in the garage sometimes lending a hand while not afraid of getting dirty! Now that we finally have a T and the kids are gone, we do more touring than ever. And, by the way, I'm double lucky because all four of the kids LOVE the old cars (they were raised around them), love to drive them and tour. I have five antiques and four kids. Four of the cars are spoken for but not sure what to do with the fifth!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Marty,
I'll send you my address for that 5th car! :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

You are a Lucky man Marty. You must be doing something right if they still all enjoy the cars after all those years.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

We bought a fancy "Viking Professional" stainless steel full kitchen complete with a powerful ventilator hood over the stove. Mary doesn't know that it is my vented spray booth.

stove

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Yeah, right Frank. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

Frank, I'll bet you only use it once!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

She does now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

Great pics Roger, what an excellent method to clearly show how it all comes together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Henry, I'd love to send you the "extra" car, but I have a feeling if my kids keep having grand kids, I'm going to need it to leave to them!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

Richard, I am VERY lucky!!! Not only do the kids -- well they are hardly kids anymore, the youngest is 29 -- love the cars but I also collect phonographs and radios and those are all spoken for as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

When I bought my property in 1986 with a two floor structure, the restoration shop was set up in the in the drive-in cellar and we lived upstairs (roughed it) until it was finished inside during 1988. I kept my "T" Speedster in the house after building special doors so it could be done (I have the world's greatest wife).

It gave me room in the shop for customers (one is pictured in the chair) cars and I could work on parts of my "T"s there. In 1992 we had an addition built on the house and a new shop for more needed room, and the car had to leave because there would be no way to get it out. Today you would never believe it was the same place

Has anyone else stored a car it their house?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration