What do you do with your T Magazines?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What do you do with your T Magazines?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

I have a new idea about what to do with all the car magazines after we have read thru them.

I do keep a few Vintage Ford, Model T Times and Horseless Carriage Gazette's but over the years I seldom find myself going back to them. Often try to find an article on a certain subject but with no index I give up. Some issues go to the shop, others go up to our mountain home but too many pile up on my desk next to my computer.

My idea is to gather up some issues and deliver them to doctor and dentist offices or barber shops where people waiting may look thru them and find an interest in our hobby. Also our local VA Hospital or others close by may be great places where more eyes will get to see our cars and possibly find an interest in them.

Lets hear what you do and what you think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Mine go to the local old folks home. By the time my wife puts me there I will have forgotten that I previously read them and it will keep me busy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

For many years, I was heavily into Mopar Musclecars (still am, just not as heavily) and subscribed to a total of five Mopar-only mags. After I had read and re-read everything I could out of them, I stopped subscribing to all but two (recently I dropped to just one).

I boxed up all the issues of my three least-favorite mags and took them to a couple of Mopar car shows with a sign saying "free, help yourself".

You should have seen the feeding frenzy of show participants and spectators over those mags! I would like to think that the hobby gained a few new enthusiasts that day.

Regarding show trophies, I boxed up the overflow and gave them to a neighbor who was involved with the boy scouts. He pulled off the Mopar specific plaques and re-used them as trophies for scouting events.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

I give mine to the auto mechanics shop teacher at the local high school. The kids love reading them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

Kevin, that's the best idea yet! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Well, I seem to limp to the beat of a different percussionist. I never throw anything away including 50 years worth of MTFCA, HCCA and VMCCA Magazines. A few years ago when I bought a 1907 Buick I was glad I had kept them. Lots of good information and sage advice there. I built this book case to hold all of them 35 years ago but it has filled up many times. I envy you who can pass things on.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Mark, is your neighbor to whom you give the trophies in Hillsboro or was that somewhere else? I don't really want to throw them away, but I have half a dozen or so that I would love to see re-purposed....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Not in Hillsboro, it was many years ago when I lived in Connecticut.

Maybe the St. Louis chapter can put you in touch with someone who would be willing to come and pick up your extras?

http://stlbsa.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

When i'm gone my wife hopefully will sell my collection with the car's?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

Dick.
The Webster Groves High school has an excellent shop teacher that my son has kept in touch with. I could see if he can re-purpose them if you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Dick,
I am very new to the hobby of "T's", I would love to have them as I am thirsting for knowledge about the cars.
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Keith, I posted about car show trophies, not magazines.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Keith, there are some rather large blocks of "Vintage Ford" and "Model T Times" back issues available on Ebay, check them out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Thanks Mark, my mistake Dick
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

So far, I've kept my VF and Model T Times magazines. (I'm not sure why, but I do. :-) ) The others we get, such as Road and Track, Smithsonian magazine, and a couple more, I take to the local VA hospital and leave them in the waiting areas. I might start taking the T mags too, since they are taking up a lot of space and I seldom refer to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

If anyone wants to get rid of ones older than 2010, I'd be glad to take them for the price of postage. I don't throw anything away. I did however just recently sell my comic book collection of 37 years. (sold it 3 years ago) 1940's to the present day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

When I am done with them, I donate both my HCCA & Model T Vintage Ford to the Automotive Research Library of the HCFI. It is tax deductible and goes to a great cause. The library has a wonderful collection of literature and copies are available at low cost. You can contact them for information about a vintage car project you may be working on. They will do the research and provide you with what ever information you may be looking for. Much of their catalog information is scanned in for easy access.
Mac MacPherson who is a Director normally has a booth and attends Hershey, Chickasha, Big 3 (San Diego) and Bakersfield swap meets.
E-mail Research@hcfi.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

Every so often, like once a decade or so the VF does publish a listing of all the info they have had in the magazine. A friend brought some late 1950's Horseless Carriage Gazette's into the shop, they are fun to read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 02:20 am:

Les, That's a good idea as well.Mac has attended our T meetings to tell about the Library.

William, I may have some for ya, I'll have to check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:23 am:

In this digital age, I wonder if it would be better/cheaper to have them sent in a PDF format via email if the member so chooses. They could then be down loaded to a small USB thumb drive for safe keeping.

I don't know if there is a minimum that the MTFCA has to get printed, I had a question sent about an issue I thought I may have not gotten and I was told I could be sent another one. That led me to believe there are extras out there that someone had to buy and pay for.

I like to have them around, but they do take up space. But I refuse to get rid of them too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 02:02 am:

Being a hoarder of anything to do with old, vintage automobiles I have a lot of car magazines. I have a complete set of Vintage Ford from Vol.1 #1 up to the one I got two days ago. My kids are going to have fun when I am gone.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration