Rob, Model K progress update please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rob, Model K progress update please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Devine on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Rob, Photos of K progress please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Today It is an Amish racer.
a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 05:54 am:

Bill,
As you see, almost ready to go........

The plan is to be ready for the "Speedster Reunion" in Lincoln in late June. At this point, it's about as far from running as can be. New spider gears are being made now, and most of the engine is ready to go back together. Dean is just beginning re-assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 06:34 am:

Hi Rob,
For viewers not conversant with the ''K'' chassis they may note were the front seat & controls are positioned in relation to the rear crossmember.Also the chassis strengthening brace system still being used on the 1907 chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 07:41 am:

I just don't know about you kids...You get a new toy and tear it all apart to see how it works. No wonder mom would only let you play in the empty cardboard box the refrigerator came in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 07:44 am:

The real truth is Dean parted the K out so he could build another camper :-) and I think he is going to use that frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:14 am:

With the hay loader rear axle your going up hill and your millage will suffer!!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Bob, good points about the K suspension. Just as with the early Model T, the first Model K frames were too weak, and significantly beefed up (and lengthened) on the 1907-08 version. Also, I believe the under frame trussing was added to the 07 version (and maybe during 06 production). This photo taken at the January 1906 N.Y. Auto Show has one of the very first K chassis, with no truss rods:

In comparison, the 07/08 K had a much heavier frame, with trussing. The 07-08 frame is a little heavier than a TT frame, and almost identical in taper and size.

The K wasn't the first time Ford would strengthen a chassis with truss rods. The 1905 six cylinder racer used truss rods with supports extensively, I presume to strengthen with less weight than a bigger solid frame:

The K touring car has the front and back seats set back a ways on the chassis, to accommodate the long engine and hood, but the runabout/roadster (first called "runabout" in 1997, then "roadster" for 1908) has the front seat set back even farther, with a lower front seat. As a result, the seat is only a short distance forward of the rear axle. The wheelbase of the 07/08 touring and runabout/roadster are both 120":

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

It looks like the angle of the steering column is lower too, kinda' like the '11-12 Torpedos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Rob,
It looks like the 6-40 is going to have too much leg room for you. I suggest that you drop it off here when Dean gets done with it. My mother's got a nice '22 Coupe, left over from my dad's estate that I need to get rid of for her. I know the 6-40 is a lot older and has more miles on it, but I'll put a good word in for you with my mother and she might let you make an even up trade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Eric - You're all heart! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

No Trusses below frame on this K in Milnor, Nebraska.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

I see two of them in that pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Mike, yes, the steering column (interestingly, made by Holley Bros.) was lower and longer on the runabout/roadster.

Eric, always thinking of the other guy... :-)

Dan, thanks for the pics.

Patrick, your right, good catch (see pic below).

This "roadster" is at Pioneer Village in Nebraska, and is considered one of the few early (pre-October 1906) Model K chassis in existence. I didn't realize it, but it does have truss rods. The body is not stock, and was fabricated sometime between 1906 and the 1950's. if the truss rods are stock (and I suspect they are), Ford added support following the first Model K, that didn't have them (as I understand it).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Sure hope that you can bring it to Mt Pleasant this year. I would love to see it and hear it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Gaskets done . Time to assemble!
g

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Dean,
They look great! For anyone wondering, these are the equivalent of a head gasket, sealing between the individual cylinder jugs and the crankcase:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Rob,????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

making progress prototype in aluminum to check fit.g

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Dean, Looks like you got a good gear man making your parts. Not to many shops have a miter gear cutting machine.
By the way I see in the first picture that you have Rob,s fine lady out in the open, bare bones and naked.Please get her a nice dress please, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

Looks good Rob , Probable find the my originals as soon as you have cut the new ones.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Bob,
We can't thank you enough for sending the gears and carrier.

Dean sent this pic. He's sizing the new piston wrist pin bushing. The rods have original hinged babbitt bearings:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration